Re: uBITX Mic Wireup

Shaun

" If you tear a lot of communication mics apart you will see that the mic element is wired through the PTT switch on most of them."

That is exactly what I would expect and have seen in the past, but again, the mic wire up I saw on an earlier post for an older version did have the PTT as a separate circuit, not wired serially with the electret. While it doesn't address the mic wire up specifically, the wiring diagram for the uBITX from the website seems to suggest the same, PTT and mic are two separate circuits. I think you have confirmed my original way of thinking of how I should wire it up, i.e. closure of the PTT switch applying ground to the MIC- side of the electret, and is the way I will go.  I am using an old HT spkr\mic and going that route just means I need to move one connection point internally and I'm where I need to be. Thank you for the assist, Tim

Shaun
KEØNLN

On Fri, Mar 9, 2018 at 3:14 PM, Tim Gorman <tgorman2@...> wrote:
Jerry,

Having a live mic with a separate, unassociated PTT switch can lead to
inadvertent transmissions if the PTT gets operated accidentally. If the
mic is not live all the time then all you transmit on an accidental PTT
operation is a suppressed carrier which hopefully won't bother anyone.

It doesn't happen a lot but it *does* happen. Someone accidentally
pushes his foot switch with a live mic and sends out a discussion with
the wife (spouse) over the air.

Admittedly you can butt transmit with a PTT CB mic or 2-meter ham mic
if you sit on it. It happens also.

For me, the switch is there in the mic and I don't see any reason not
to use it. If you tear a lot of communication mics apart you will see
that the mic element is wired through the PTT switch on most of them.
Apparently someone thinks its a good idea!

tim ab0wr