The issues of the TDA2822

Ashhar Farhan

Here is the story. This is going to cause a lot of heartaches. I chose TDA2822 after listening to a lot of bad press about the LM386. Upon looking at its harmonic distortions et al, it was found to be a reasonably good device. In, it went.

Now, unfortunately, the TDA2822 production has entirely stopped. None of the standard suppliers, including mouser, newark, element14 have no stocks left. We tried to find other source of remaining stock from our reliable supplier who has been supplying to us in the past as well.

He turned up with a batch. We tried the ICs in burn tests for. Ten of them on ten boards at full volume for a whole day. In retrospect, we should have tested every individual IC. That batch had these WX ICs as well. About 100 to 150 of these must have shipped, there is no way to know. The way it works is like this : Not all the ICs turned out by a factory are good. So work very well, some not so well, some don't work at all. These wafers make it to the silicon industry underground where they are cut out from the wafers and packaged and sold as low grade versions of the same parts. We got a a hundred or so of these lemons.

 We finally located a source of brand new, high quality TDA2822s that are currently being shipped. They cost almost five times as much as we were paying while this was in  production. Well, such is life.

In the meantime, we have to look for alternatives to the TDA2822. I am highly inclined towards making a discrete device amplifier. We will never run out of discrete devices, the audio would be so much better. Does the gang have any ideas?

- f