Re: B40 LM386 and µB TDA2822 and that 470µF Cap

David Wilcox

Forgot to say I was parked in Myrtle Beach for two weeks.  Never saw that kind of corrosion in northern Michigan even with the salt used on the road in the winter.

Dave K8WPE

On Mar 2, 2018, at 3:01 AM, David Wilcox via Groups.Io <Djwilcox01@...> wrote:

Or get them free if you fly Delta with the video sets. They are cheap (not very hardy) but they do work.

Also, a side note.  Left my car with chrome wheels parked in Myrtle Beach, SC, while on vacation.  Did NOT go to the beach.  The car just sat a mile or so from the ocean.  To my surprise my chrome wheels showed significant corrosion upon my return. Protect your gear any way you can AND don't buy any radio that has been kept on a boat in a salt water marina.  Eventually the corrosion on the circuit board will get you.  I know from a close friend's experience.  His used IC 7000  failed after a few months.  The board showed unrepairable corrosion.

Dave K8WPE

On Mar 2, 2018, at 12:11 AM, Jerry Gaffke via Groups.Io <jgaffke@...> wrote:

They're worth a try, maybe you managed to get some good ones.
But in my experience, anything under about $10 in headphones is not worth the bother.
Extremely low fidelity, to the point of not being good enough to listen to the news.

I agree with Vince, not trivial to put a new connector on most headphones these days.
Try it.
Better than hacking your $1 headphones is a mono to stereo adapter plug:
    https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=7128
As suggested in a post a couple days ago.

Not yet clear if avoiding shorts is sufficient to keep this chip from failing.
Some reports of plugging in stereo headphones causing it to fail.

Jerry

On Thu, Mar 1, 2018 at 08:17 pm, Thomas Sharka wrote:
Headphones are cheap. You can find them at the Dollar Store.