Re: U1 fried

Jerry Gaffke

So where did you get your spare TDA2822M's?

The TDA2822M is $7 for two on ebay, quite expensive for what it is.
Mainline distributors like Mouser and Digikey say it's discontinued.
ST no longer makes it, sources may be drying up.

My uBitx has a part on it marked "TDA2822M" but no ST logo, not sure who makes it.

Banggood has this amp, photos show it to be stuffed with a UTC2822H clone, but I'm having no luck finding a source for that chip either.
  https://www.banggood.com/TDA2822M-1W-x-2-Dual-Channel-Audio-Amplifier-Stereo-Module-Board-Volume-Control-p-1067736.html

Someday we might need to find a replacement.
Maybe a little PC board with 8 header pins.
Stuff it with a bunch of mmbt3904's if nothing else.

Curious that the stereo headset fried the TDA2822M.
Perhaps it presented too low an impedance when first plugged in for some reason?

Not at all clear from the datasheet that the TDA2822M will survive a 4 ohm speaker
when powered from a 12v+ supply.

Jerry, KE7ER

On Wed, Feb 28, 2018 at 02:22 pm, John wrote:
I fried mine when I plugged in a stereo sony noise canceling headset.
So it does not only happen with mono plugs.

Hopefully the spare TDAs with sockets will arrive soon so Incan start troubleshooting my no power problem.
To be on the safe side and avoid another wait I also ordered some IRFs ;)