Re: Blown by nearby transceiver #bitx40help

Jerry Gaffke

Good point, if we're worried about magnetic field coupling then tinfoil won't do much good.
I'm not sure exactly how the power to blow 1/4 Watt resistors would be communicated,
was guessing it might be straight magnetic coupling like a transformer, though could be electromagnetic.
I doubt it is straight electrostatic, not enough current with no conductor between unless the air ionizes as in a lightning bolt.
If electromagnetic (radio waves), a Faraday cage around the radio such as that tinfoil is in order,
and this is the sort of shielding usually found in commercial gear.  Such shielding might help
resolve the problem of hearing audio tones from the 16mhz Nano oscillator, or noise from
nearby computers and power supplies.

My rig is stitting out open-faced on a piece of plywood, front and back panels of scrap PC screwed to the plywood,
the main board has the standoffs installed upside down so the 4-40 threads are held in place by holes drilled into the wood.
Works fine, though I have a quiet environment.  Easy to work on, I can just pick the board up and pop the connectors off.

When posting that original tinfoil hat comment my thought was:
    "If it can do that to 1/4 Watt resistors, what can it do to my brain?"
Perhaps we will learn that there was a cabled connection, and this is all moot.

I spent about 6 hours with cell phone at my ear a couple days ago trying to sort out
some issues with our Verizon cellphone account.   I really should have been using a headset.
I have heard occasional reports like Raj's though am not aware of a definitive study.
Am thinking a 4 Watt transmitter 1/4" from my brain for long periods is best avoided.

Jerry, KE7ER

On Mon, Feb 12, 2018 at 10:57 am, Arv Evans wrote:
While tinfoil (even the tinfoil hat) can lessen exposure to static charges, how
much effect does it have on electro-magnetic energy.  Seems that a thick steel
chassis (or hat)  might be better for limiting both ES and EM signal levels.