Re: Blown by nearby transceiver #bitx40help

chris gress <Chrisg0wfh@...>

I used this copper tape in side my plastic cases for my bitx cheep as chips £1 a box chris

On 12 Feb 2018 18:19, "David Lacey via Groups.Io" <g4jbe=yahoo.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:
Sorry...but I agree with Jack`s comments. If any transceiver was intended to be fitted to a plastic case.....all major
rig manufacturers would be using them already. It is plain common sense to shield any RF generating device.

HF signals write-up on the rig states:
What is included and what is not
"The boards are sold at a low price to encourage more people to build them. Due to high postage
cost of including heavy items like speakers and metal box, these are not part of the kit. You will have
to supply your own project box, speaker,mic, power supply, antenna etc."
Dave
G4JBE

On 12/02/2018 17:18, Jack Purdum via Groups.Io wrote:
No, I was dead serious.

Suggesting that someone has to be crazy to use a plastic case for an xcvr is uncalled for. Much of my work is done with an eye to the ham (or potential ham) who has limited income for our hobby. (See my intro to the Forty-9er article, March, 2016, QST.) There are a lot of people who cannot afford a $50 Hammond aluminum case. There are others who don't have the tools to work with aluminum; even a $30 nibbling tool is out of reach. Some who choose a plastic case may do so for economic reasons, but it could also they want it as light as possible and, when working a SOTA location, they're not overly-concerned about stray RFI. It may be they just like the way a plastic case looks. The popularity of 3-D printed cases is an example. Indeed, we all have read about hams who have mounted their BITX in the plastic case it came in. Others have used cigar boxes. I used an acrylic case for the Forty-9er because I wanted the visitors at the next Field Day to see that a viable rig does not have to be complicated.

So, no, I don't think it was called for because there are a lot of viable reasons for not using a metal case and to imply that someone who does needs to wear a foil hat is uncalled for.

Jack, W8TEE