Re: Blown by nearby transceiver #bitx40help

Jerry Gaffke

Jury is still out as to how those parts got blown, and I am genuinely curious.
Most commercial radio gear that comes in plastic cases uses some sort of thin metallic film
on the interior to provide shielding, and if this is of concern I do think gluing tinfoil to the inside
surface is a reasonable thing to do.

My apologies if anyone was offended by the reference to a tinfoil hat.
Though as Raj has pointed out, that's not necessarily a bad idea either.

Jerry, KE7ER

On Mon, Feb 12, 2018 at 09:18 am, Jack Purdum wrote:
No, I was dead serious.

Suggesting that someone has to be crazy to use a plastic case for an xcvr is uncalled for. Much of my work is done with an eye to the ham (or potential ham) who has limited income for our hobby. (See my intro to the Forty-9er article, March, 2016, QST.) There are a lot of people who cannot afford a $50 Hammond aluminum case. There are others who don't have the tools to work with aluminum; even a $30 nibbling tool is out of reach. Some who choose a plastic case may do so for economic reasons, but it could also they want it as light as possible and, when working a SOTA location, they're not overly-concerned about stray RFI. It may be they just like the way a plastic case looks. The popularity of 3-D printed cases is an example. Indeed, we all have read about hams who have mounted their BITX in the plastic case it came in. Others have used cigar boxes. I used an acrylic case for the Forty-9er because I wanted the visitors at the next Field Day to see that a viable rig does not have to be complicated.

So, no, I don't think it was called for because there are a lot of viable reasons for not using a metal case and to imply that someone who does needs to wear a foil hat is uncalled for.