Re: Blown by nearby transceiver #bitx40help

Jerry Gaffke

He did say "no antenna connected"
though that is not quite the same as saying "nothing connected to the Bitx40 antenna port".
Perhaps he still had coax from Bitx40 into the tuner.
Then a fault in the tuner or perhaps a switch in the wrong position could have brought on this sort of damage.
That would be considerably less mysterious.

However, if there was no connection to the Bitx40 antenna port, this could still be due to strong near-fields somehow.
The fact that Pat only managed to take out Q13 is no reason to think that things could not get worse with
different a physical placement and perhaps a poor match through the tuner from his Icom.

Jerry, KE7ER

On Mon, Feb 12, 2018 at 08:23 am, pat griffin wrote:

I think I am with Chris on this.  Early on, I fired up an Icom 735 a couple of feet away from the Bitx40 and it did indeed take out Q13 but left nary a mark.