Re: whistles in receive

Jerry Gaffke

One of my earliest memories at about 3 years of age, maybe less, is being fascinated
by the console tube radio we had in the living room.
Peering around in back, face pressed against the wall, trying to see what was inside
and figure out how it worked.
My elders teasing me, telling me about all the little people tucked inside.

Younger hams in the states will only think of Ham Radio Outlet, our local retail chain.
Here's the real HRO:  http://www.radioblvd.com/National%20HRO.htm
And a choice quote:

The original published story for the origin of  the HRO designation related that all of National's inter-departmental paperwork for the receiver project was stamped "H.R.O." which stood for "Hellva Rush Order" since the time table for the receiver development was a "rush order" type of project. For many years this was the story related in National advertising and it sounded believable. However, after James Millen left National in 1939, he corrected the story as follows:

The original development paperwork was usually marked "H.O.R." - for "Hell Of a Rush" but during the finalization phase, someone at National decided they didn't want their new receivers to be referred to as "HORs" so the letters were rearranged and became HRO - then the "Hellva Rush Order" story created to explain the HRO designation.

Well,...that's Millen's story anyway.

On Mon, Feb 5, 2018 at 07:40 am, Ashhar Farhan wrote:
The warm smells of an HRO steaming up... is there any hotroding one can do to these rigs?
- f