Re: LTSpice simulation of uBitx Power Amp

K9HZ <bill@...>

I have the .model for the RD series transistors if you care to run that too.

Dr. William J. Schmidt - K9HZ J68HZ 8P6HK ZF2HZ PJ4/K9HZ VP5/K9HZ PJ2/K9HZ

Owner - Operator

Big Signal Ranch – K9ZC

Staunton, Illinois

Owner – Operator

Villa Grand Piton - J68HZ

Soufriere, St. Lucia W.I.

Rent it: www.VillaGrandPiton.com

email:  bill@...

On Feb 5, 2018, at 12:21 AM, Jerry Gaffke via Groups.Io <jgaffke@...> wrote:

I've now uploaded an LTSpice simulation schematic file that allows easy comparison of the uBitx and WA2EBY finals,
also a pdf version for those who have not installed LTSpice:
    https://groups.io/g/BITX20/files/KE7ER/WA2EBYandUBITX.asc
    https://groups.io/g/BITX20/files/KE7ER/WA2EBYandUBITX.pdf

I haven't played with it too much, haven't taken any notes.
But here's what I think I'm seeing:

The WA2EBY does perform better.
Power in is about the same between the two, power out from the WA2EBY is generally a factor of 3 greater.
The gates on the WA2EBY have nice sine waves, the uBitx is quite distorted there by capacitive loading.
Input impedance on both is about 50 ohms at 7mhz, both go down to about 12 ohms at 30mhz,
as determined by monitoring the voltage after the 50 ohm source impedance resistor.
Both show a 4x power increase when switching from 30mhz to 7mhz, more than I would
have expected on the WA2EBY, perhaps I have some wrong values on the inductors?
The IRF510 model assumes worst case for Rds(on) and Qgate, though I doubt that's just too far off.

Jerry, KE7ER