Re: First Arduino sketch loaded

Jack, W8TEE

Agreed. If someone is just getting started with C programming, learn C first. However, if you want to dink around with the libraries, many (most?) are written in C++. That's why the last chapter of my book has A Gentle Introduction to Object Oriented Programming and C++. Obviously, no one is going to teach OOP in one chapter, but it should help someone read what's in the libraries. Indeed, some aspects of C++ are pretty powerful (e.g., multiple inheritance), but rarely needed in our environment.  At the outset, just stick with C.

Jack, W8TEE

From: Jerry Gaffke via Groups.Io <jgaffke@...>
To: BITX20@groups.io
Sent: Friday, February 2, 2018 12:25 PM
Subject: Re: [BITX20] First Arduino sketch loaded

Most Arduino code pretty much ignores the "++" thing, using vanilla C.
Being an older coder guy and having learned from a first edition K&R in the early 1980's,
the extra stuff that C++ has to offer has never seemed worth the bother.
Especially on a microcontroller, where you really want to know exactly
what your code will compile down to.

My advice is to first concentrate on learning C, hold off on C++

Jerry

On Fri, Feb 2, 2018 at 08:35 am, Arv Evans wrote:
C++ is what we use on Arduino systems like the Raduino.