Re: Care and Feeding of SMD Parts

Michael Hagen

I am throwing away a bag of 0402s I have collected over the years.  I hate them!

I have 10s of thousands of SMDs.  I have shoe boxes full.  Some of the "Pill" boxes at the 99Cent stores work OK.

I take a 100 at a time out of the strips so I can grab them with tweezers out of pill boxes.  I label the top with a small avery label.

You can even get them for 5 or so pills a day and 7 days.  So 28 compartments in one small box.  Some pill boxes are so cheap, it is hard to open the flap lids.  So I have learned to buy just one for trial.

The deluxe way to go is the interlocking 1" boxes from the internet.  They lock together in any size pattern.  The lids are clear and have a spring.  You push the latch with your tweezers and the lip flips up.   Some vendors even send the whole selection of resistors out in them.   In about 1 ft Sq, you can get the whole range of 5% values.

73's

Mike, WA6ISP

On 2/1/2018 8:31 AM, Jack Purdum via Groups.Io wrote:
Good Lord! I can't even SEE 0402's!

Jack, W8TEE

To: BITX20@groups.io
Sent: Thursday, February 1, 2018 11:05 AM
Subject: Re: [BITX20] Care and Feeding of SMD Parts

Tim said:    I take a piece of printer paper and slit the corners so I can fold it into a tray.

I say:    http://www.origami-fun.com/support-files/origami-box-print.pdf
That way you don't have to dig around the workspace for 30 minutes to find the scotch tape.

When hand stuffing surface mount parts, working within a large baker's cake tin
can somewhat restrain all them flying 0402's and Sot23's.

On Thu, Feb 1, 2018 at 07:21 am, Tim Gorman wrote:
I take a piece of printer paper and slit the corners so I can fold it into a tray.

-- 
Mike Hagen, WA6ISP
10917 Bryant Street
Yucaipa, Ca. 92399
(909) 918-0058
PayPal ID  "MotDog@..."
Mike@...

Join BITX20@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.