Re: Care and Feeding of SMD Parts

Clark Martin

I’ve been working with SMDs for a few years now and have lost several.  If the get pressed right they fly off just like a tiddily wink.  They also tend to adhere to tweezers, probes and soldering irons with very little effort.  If it’s a cap or resistor I just fetch another one it’s not worth the effort of a futile search.

One thing I do to try to minimize losses is to limit the number of loose parts I have out to two.  If I need to install more than that I’ll do two at a time and tack solder them into place.

Clark Martin
KK6ISP

On Jan 31, 2018, at 8:44 AM, Ken KM4NFQ <km4nfq@...> wrote:

To use a component, I press it from the plastic side, through the paper side with tweezers, then put the freed component on the solder-pasted pads. I work over an aluminum tray covered with a cloth. I haven't lost a component yet. Of course, I have only recently started working with SMDs, so take that with a grain of salt. :)