Re: PiZeroW Controlling a uBitx

Arv Evans

Two problems that may affect use of a Pi-ZERO inside the uBITX.  First it will have
to be shielded to minimize radiation of spurious signals that might detract from
typical BITX quiet background and high sensitivity.  Second would be the need to
"harden" Pi-ZERO ports so they will survive the high RF levels that exist inside the
case when transmitting.  Both fixes re possible but not something that a neophyte
would want to attempt.

Arv  K7HKL
_._

On Sun, Jan 28, 2018 at 10:54 PM, Diver Martin <diver.martin@...> wrote:
I need yet another project like I need a hole in my head! :)  The my top mod PCB is something I should get working first, but I may later try doing a simple rpizerow to teensy3.2 adapter or something.  Power consumption and boot-up time are two issues with the PiZeroW, but it sounds like RFI and the wireless getting 'zapped' are others.   Still something to consider down the road...

On Sun, Jan 28, 2018 at 2:03 PM, Mike Woods <mhwoods@...> wrote:
Martin

It seems like nobody has (yet) used the Pi Zero W.   Why don't you give it a go?  I suspect that it will be a noise generator as well as RF prone ... but worth a try!

Mike

On 28/01/18 7:21 PM, Diver Martin wrote:
Anyone thought about using a PiZeroW (or even a regular RPi) for controlling a uBitx?

I thought to myself, while pondering my design decisions, "Hey, a PiZeroW is $10.  A Teensy3.2 is $20..."  Looking quickly at the pinout, it has spi and i2c, and a few GPIO's.  I don't have any experience programming the raspberry pis, but adding an i2s audio dac (or two) could easily do DSP audio, spectrum display, etc... I have my RpiZeroW hooked up to a 3.5" TFT touchscreen display I got off amazon... (https://www.amazon.com/UCTRONICS-Display-Touch-Screen-Raspberry/dp/B073QGW2M6/)

Mostly just curious.  Doubt I'll change directions with my top mod PCB, but it certainly could be an interesting option (The RpiZeroW consumes ~250mA @ 5V as I recall)

--
Martin Held - AE7EU
http://ae7eu.com/