Re: IRF510 amplifier failures

Arv Evans

Tim AB0WR

No modulation involved.  The operation is as a switch between ON and almost
OFF.  Gain of the two BJTs makes it operate quickly and drop the output voltage
to the point where the current sensing resistor has less than the 0.65 threshold
voltage across its base-emitter junction.

I see where it does look like some of the CB-era AM modulators because it
causes a drop in voltage when current exceeds the base-emitter threshold.

I'm still looking at the current limiter with an eye toward possibly adding another
MOSFET to get both polarity protection and current limiting.  Problem with fuses
for protection is that most do not operate fast enough.  There are specialty
Fast-Acting fuses  and Slow-Blow fuses but most hams do not have a ready stock
of these.

Arv
_._

On Sun, Jan 28, 2018 at 9:59 PM, Tim Gorman <tgorman2@...> wrote:
It would seem to me that this type of operation is actually AM
modulation of final. When you limit the current flow in an FET that is
very similar to plate modulation in a vacuum tube. It certainly can't
be good for the linearity of the amplifier since the operational curve
would no longer be linear but, instead, flat-topped at some value.

Why not just fuse the power lead? It would tell you immediately that
you have a problem.

tim ab0wr