Re: IRF510 amplifier failures

KD8CGH

I decided to add a polyswitch to my uBitx. Since it can draw almost 2 amps I selected a 3 amp, 16 V model. When I got them I tested one and found that I could not trip it with my 5 amp lab bench supply. Reading the specifications (after purchase - duh) I see that it is speced to trip at 6 amps continuous current with a max time to trip of 5 seconds at 15 amps. I'm not sure that this would protect the finals. In contrast, a 3 amp fast blow glass cartridge fuse is speced to blow  in 5 seconds at 6 amps.
I got a glass fuse holder and a handful of 2, 2.5 and 3 amp fuses. I'll see if I can get by with 2 amps in normal operation.