Re: SMD Group Build

Ken KM4NFQ <km4nfq@...>

On Thu, Jan 25, 2018 at 12:03 AM, Ashhar Farhan <farhanbox@...> wrote:
I use double side, plain copper clad. Then, with a sharp knife (i use a glass cutter), i score off an island of 3x2 to 5x2 squares of about 0.25inch to a side. I use all around for the ground plane, and solder the 1206 betweeb the pads. The sot23 transistors are soldered at a corner of three squares. If the ground planing ia crucial, i drill a number of holes around the top ground plane and solder small pieces of wire to connect to the Bottom ground

Hello Ashhar, VU2ESE,

I really like the technique you have described for working with SMDs. It reminds me of Chuck Adam's (K7QO) MUPPET (Manhattan Ugly Professional Placement Experimental Technique) Style Construction. I have already used that style with PTH components. I can see how it will also work very well with 1206's. The soldered wire connecting the top and bottom of the board's ground planes is great. You must use a breakout board for SOICs.

Regards,
Ken, KM4NFQ