Re: SMD Group Build

Ken KM4NFQ <km4nfq@...>

Hello Jack, W8TEE,

The Revolving LED SMD Practice Kit was my introduction to soldering SMDs.
So it was also my introduction to a Solder Paste Syringe, and application needles.
I have a heavy thumb (ham-fisted, I am).
A gentle squeeze on the syringe produced an on-going stream of solder paste.
I thought it would never stop coming out!
Another thing is, the needle was a mess to clean up afterwards.
I used a Q-Tip and a wire to clean it up as best as I could.
So my first experience kind of soured me on using the needle applicator.
I wanted more control over how much solder paste came out of the syringe.
So what I did was to make a screw-controlled applicator.
I don't use the needles at all. The solder paste comes out very slowly.
As it comes out, I use a pointed dental tool to get a small gob on the point.
Then I apply it to a pad with the dental tool.
Every once in awhile I give the screw a slight twist.
This works great for ME. YMMV.

There is a cap that screws over the end of the syringe, which I replace when I finish applying solder paste.
The scrap-wood prototype worked so well, I never made a finished product.
I call this tool my Solder Paster Extruder.

I found my 'Reflow Oven' at the Goodwill Store (re-purposed Toaster Oven).

I calibrated it with an old kitchen oven thermometer which is accurate.
I made marks on the dial, then checked the temperature for each mark.
In actual use, I turn it to my 3rd mark and wait for the temperature to get to 200degF.
Then I turn it to my 6th mark, and the temperature goes to 350degF.
I turn the oven off, open the door, and let the PCB cool down.

I got my SMD Tweezers, and Hot Air Gun, from eBay, as well as the SMD Practice Kit.
Since then, I have sourced 0805 SMD resistors, capacitors, and ICs from Mouser.
Most of the other tools I already had in my studio.

Regards,
Ken, KM4NFQ

On Thu, Jan 25, 2018 at 9:57 AM, Jack Purdum via Groups.Io <jjpurdum@...> wrote:
Mornin' Ken:

You're right, and I may have glossed over this idea too quickly. This might be a great way to get them to try at low expense and without insulting their fabrication abilities. I do have everything you suggested except the skillet. That might be the club's next project after the frequency counter.

Jack, W8TEE