Re: SMD Group Build

Diver Martin <diver.martin@...>

On Wed, Jan 24, 2018 at 9:23 PM, Jack Purdum via Groups.Io <jjpurdum@...> wrote:
I wish someone would put together an assortment of, say, 40 common values, quantity 100 of each value and market it for some reasonable markup for resistors and caps. For the club build, I'd prefer 1206 since this is a huge step for some of the club members.

BTW, today I just got 40 clear plastic 1.25"x0.75" cosmetic sample jars (eBay #332506418787). Tomorrow I'm going to Target and buy Velcro sticky tape "dots" and place one half on the bottom of the jar, and the other on a piece of plywood which hangs on the wall. Now if somebody has an assortment of 40 common values, they go into the jar and I'm ready to go. Each jar will have a small Avery label on it.

Jack, W8TEE

From: Diver Martin <diver.martin@...>
To: BITX20@groups.io
Sent: Thursday, January 25, 2018 12:09 AM

Subject: Re: [BITX20] SMD Group Build

Jack,

Just as a point of reference:  Going for 5% tolerance 1k ohm resistors, and buying 1000 at a time, a quick search on digikey gives me:

1000x 0603 resistors:  $2.07
1000x 0805 resistors:  $3.03
1000x 1206 resistors:  $4.63

For reference
1000x axial TH resistors: $7.29.

At a half penny a pop, the cost of 1206 vs 0603 I'm betting isn't going to be a noticable difference.  (At 100qty, they're about 2x as much, ~$0.01 each, or $1 for 100).  You can really sneeze hard and not loose a lot of money.

On Wed, Jan 24, 2018 at 8:20 PM, Jack Purdum via Groups.Io <jjpurdum@...> wrote:
I can barely see a 0603! I would prefer 1206 if I can find them and am not too worried about the cost differential.
Jack, W8TEE