Re: AE7EU Top Level PCB Mod

Diver Martin <diver.martin@...>

I'm actually changing some components to through-hole, simply because they're cheaper, and it would save some assembly cost on the SMT side to let it be a kit.

I want to simplify some of the parts as well to have them be bigger footprints to simplify replacement if necessary... Sadly, Si5351A's are MSOP10's, and the SSM2617 is also MSOP10.  I might try to find an SOIC8 mic amp to replace the SSM2617 (which I mostly decided to try as something different from what everyone else was doing with the MAX8914).

Gotta get everything else working first though :)

Richard:  A top level mod PCB that's designed to be a solderless add-on to make things clean mechanically, and add a bunch of useful features.

In any case, a revB is inevitable.  In my many many many years of PCB design, I've had a new design work exactly right the first time it was powered up happen exactly once in my life.  It was quite a time for celebration... (that board/product is still in use today too no less!)

On Wed, Jan 24, 2018 at 2:26 PM, James Lawrie <lawriejk@...> wrote:
If you made it through hole as much as possible I’d go for 2 nd option.

James Lawrie

On Jan 24, 2018, at 15:00, Leland Lannoye <wa9aoe@...> wrote:

I would opt for the boards, with a list of parts, a provider list and/or parts provided like any other kit.  Would also be easiest for me.

Lee, WA9AOE

On 1/24/2018 3:45 PM, Diver Martin wrote:
Partial kit is about the only way I could sell it.  A full kit, toroids wound and installed, would simply cost too much, I don't think anyone would go for it.

Right now, if everything works out, there are a few options.

1) Release the board files, schematic, design files/gerbers, BoM and let someone in china clone it, walk away.
2) Same as #1, but just sell bare PCB's.
3) Sell PCB's with all SMT components installed, and a baggie of TH parts, toroids, and couple feet of magnet wire.
4) Sell the entire thing fully assembled ($$$).

4 is unlikely to happen, period.  I would rather redesign the entire system and include the uBitx portion with the mods.  3 is possible, but it'd have to be done on kickstarter or something (5% overhead there), simply because I'm not willing to risk the $10k on a build of 100 boards, 2 is just work without any real benefit, almost the same as #1.

3 & 4 both will have board files/etc released, but not until after the first round ships out.

On Wed, Jan 24, 2018 at 12:28 PM, WX6XX via Groups.Io <enockson=protonmailcom@groups.io> wrote:
That looks really nice and thank you for putting in so much work!

Have you considered a partial kit?  I’ve seen a few where all of the SMD parts come mounted with everything else being through-hole.  That would both cut down on the assembly costs and avoid SMD construction for those who don’t want to do it.

Also, I am very interested in this and would order a board or partial kit.

Erik, WX6XX

--
Martin Held - AE7EU
http://ae7eu.com/