Re: AE7EU Top Level PCB Mod

Diver Martin <diver.martin@...>

Partial kit is about the only way I could sell it.  A full kit, toroids wound and installed, would simply cost too much, I don't think anyone would go for it.

Right now, if everything works out, there are a few options.

1) Release the board files, schematic, design files/gerbers, BoM and let someone in china clone it, walk away.
2) Same as #1, but just sell bare PCB's.
3) Sell PCB's with all SMT components installed, and a baggie of TH parts, toroids, and couple feet of magnet wire.
4) Sell the entire thing fully assembled ($$$).

4 is unlikely to happen, period.  I would rather redesign the entire system and include the uBitx portion with the mods.  3 is possible, but it'd have to be done on kickstarter or something (5% overhead there), simply because I'm not willing to risk the $10k on a build of 100 boards, 2 is just work without any real benefit, almost the same as #1.

3 & 4 both will have board files/etc released, but not until after the first round ships out.

On Wed, Jan 24, 2018 at 12:28 PM, WX6XX via Groups.Io <enockson@...> wrote:
That looks really nice and thank you for putting in so much work!

Have you considered a partial kit?  I’ve seen a few where all of the SMD parts come mounted with everything else being through-hole.  That would both cut down on the assembly costs and avoid SMD construction for those who don’t want to do it.

Also, I am very interested in this and would order a board or partial kit.

Erik, WX6XX

--
Martin Held - AE7EU
http://ae7eu.com/