Re: CW Key Switching Characteristics

Gary Lee <kb9zuv@...>

I am totally blind, and rely on a steady tuning rate so I can count revolutions. I hate the automatic speeding up of tuning. would rather have a pushbutton. It makes sense to use the encoder button for tuning rate. don’t have to move your hands.

Getting my stuff together to add speech output to the bitx 40. will keep all posted.

On Jan 18, 2018, at 11:27 AM, Rod Self <km6sn@...> wrote:

Jack,

I support the NO Push button notion.
I have already wired one up on my ubitx unused digital input, but have not gotten around to implementing it.

Probably the cleaner, more reliable approach.

Rod KM6SN

On 01/18/2018 06:46 AM, Jack Purdum via Groups.Io wrote:
All:

Like everyone else, I'm doing some code mods to the software, too. I'm struggling with the implementation of the frequency increment, not from the coding aspects, but from the way to implement it. As much as I hate to do it, I'm starting to think that a NO push button switch right next to the tuning knob might be the way to go. It would respond to, say, three presses: 1) fine (e.g.,10Hz), 2) medium (200 Hz), 3) coarse (100KHz). These increments would be #define'd at the top of the source code and, hence, easily changed by a non-programmer. Or, I can move those increments to my Setup code and allow the user to change them there. (Like most "stable" variables, these are written to EEPROM and read on program startup.) The additional switch would leave the encoder-press free for other uses (e.g., band switching).

Your thoughts?

Jack, W8TEE

To: BITX20@groups.io
Sent: Thursday, January 18, 2018 4:23 AM
Subject: Re: [BITX20] CW Key Switching Characteristics

Dennis,

uBITX already supports both a straight key and a paddle.

Ian, KD8CEC's firmware upgrade (v0.27) fixes most of the Keying issues (along with many other improvements).

That along with Jim, W0EB's CW Keying adapter that takes care of inconsistent keying issues from changes in contact resistance (resistors from the Keying Line to ground determine Paddle dot/dash or Straight key operation.
QRPGuys have already made a PCB available for the CW Keying Adapter (it's nice I have a couple of them already). I've installed two jacks, one for the straight key and one for the paddle, so they both work anytime without any menu selections.

A couple of other firmware upgrades that would be nice, and hopefully Ian may have these coming? down the road:
1) Selecting tuning step size (on the fly - like short press on the tuning knob encoder steps through tuning step sizes in the normal operating mode and long press takes you to the regular Menu) 50 Hz is a pretty course tuning step size for SSB, and it would be nice to change this easily for moving from the CW portion of the band to the phone portion
2) Displaying the current BFO frequency setting before making BFO setting adjustments. Now it always starts at 11.995.0 as default.

Dave WI6R

On Wed, Jan 17, 2018 at 10:11 AM, Dennis Zabawa <kg4rul@...> wrote:
I am not a CW operator but, am an experienced programmer and would like to incorporate provisions for straight key and paddles into my upgraded, Raduino equivalent design. I plan to use an Arduino MEGA 2650 for the CPU so I have lots of digital pins available to use for key.

I will provide a TRS jack for key with Dots from left paddle (tip of jack), Dashes from right paddle (ring of jack) and common to sleeve of jack. A straight key will connect from tip of jack to sleeve.

Are my connections correct?

Does anyone know how much contact bounce is usually encountered with paddles or a straight key?

--
73 Dave WI6R

Virus-free. www.avast.com

Join BITX20@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.