Re: #ubitx Powering options? #ubitx

Art Howard

Another thing to be aware of when buying these battery/ power packs is that the charger in most them does not balance the cells of a lion battery. This will greatly reduce battery life

On 16 Jan 2018 2:18 pm, "Jerry Gaffke via Groups.Io" <jgaffke=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Those small jump-start batteries should work fine for powering a radio.
Cheap because it's a mass market, there's millions of cars.
But ads are aimed for the mass market as well, and stretch specs as far as they think they can get away with
in order to get a click before all the other badly inflated ads do:   https://groups.io/g/BITX20/message/20577
See also this old thread:  https://groups.io/g/BITX20/topic/4659335

On Tue, Jan 16, 2018 at 11:29 am, Goran VE6GPO wrote:
I was thinking along similar line ... to use those small Li-ion car/motorcycle jump starters. Weight little bit over a pound, it has several outputs 12 V @ 10 A, 19 V @ 3.5 A, two USB outs 2 A and 1 A, and can be bought at amazon.ca for less than $100 CAD. Built in Li-ion charger, just plug in 15 V 1 A wall-wart.
I don't know what would be the difference (beside price) and/or advantages/disadvantages compared to dirt-cheap from ali-express. Did anyone used these to power the radios?