Re: AE7EU Top Level PCB Mod

Diver Martin <diver.martin@...>

Jerry, if I had my druthers, that's where I'd put it, and /or I'd also derive the signal level post 12MHz bandwidth crystal.  Sadly though, for a solderless / top level PCB, that's not an option.

On Sat, Jan 13, 2018 at 7:05 AM, Jerry Gaffke via Groups.Io <jgaffke@...> wrote:
Regarding putting diodes near the front end of the uBitx, this post is worth reviewing:
    https://groups.io/g/BITX20/message/35656
And this thread, which continues the discussion:
    https://groups.io/g/BITX20/message/37330

So that ADE-1 attenuator might work better if placed after the 45mhz roofing filter, or somewhere beyond that.
But up front where we have the whole world of RF coming in, the diodes may create harmonics
of a 50kW AM broadcast station across town, harmonics that will show up in the ham bands.

Vince wrote: "Before smoothing, at moderately high RF fields the RF was setting off the Halon alarm!"

Exactly what do you mean by "smoothing"?
Do you figure the diode ring mixer was creating harmonics?

Jerry, KE7ER

On Fri, Jan 12, 2018 at 10:38 pm, Diver Martin wrote:
This is one of those "We'll see how this works" things I think.  The guy who I've been talking to knows his stuff pretty well when it comes to building radios, so I trust his advice.  He's got some cool stuff on his webpage, though he doesn't sell any of the kits anymore I think.... http://www.gridtoys.com.

--
Martin Held - AE7EU
http://ae7eu.com/