Re: AE7EU Top Level PCB Mod

Diver Martin <diver.martin@...>

This is one of those "We'll see how this works" things I think.  The guy who I've been talking to knows his stuff pretty well when it comes to building radios, so I trust his advice.  He's got some cool stuff on his webpage, though he doesn't sell any of the kits anymore I think.... http://www.gridtoys.com.

On Fri, Jan 12, 2018 at 10:26 PM, Vince Vielhaber <vev@...> wrote:

On 01/13/2018 12:56 AM, Jerry Gaffke via Groups.Io wrote:
A neat trick, I've never seen a mixer used as an attenuator.
Though might be cheaper ways than using an ADE-1
And I'm curious how linear this would be for incoming high level RF signals
when partially attenuated.

Amplifier Research Model 777 is an RF leveling preamp.  It uses a mini-circuits mixer as an attenuator.  First time I saw one used for that. I had to modify one to smooth the output.  It was in the chain between an RF generator and an amplifier putting RF into an anechoic chamber.  Before smoothing, at moderately high RF fields the RF was setting off the Halon alarm!

Vince.
--
  Michigan VHF Corp.   http://www.nobucks.net/   http://www.CDupe.com/
                          http://www.metalworkingfun.com