Re: how to set bfo

Gordon Gibby <ggibby@...>

The software for automatic link establishment also turns out show you a spectrum analyzer in bar chart form.  Just by watching the waterfall in FL DGI or other software you probably got a intuitive understanding as well.

Sent from my iPhone

On Jan 10, 2018, at 12:41, Rod Self <km6sn@...> wrote:

Dave,

Thanks. I dug into the software and  found out how to get into setup. OK now.

r.e. the BFO - as you know, the receiver on a ubitx is a 12 MHz fixed-frequency receiver. USB/LSB switching is done in the previous mixing stages. Using band-noise as a wideband signal source, if one views the ubitx audio output on an audio spectrum analyzer, it should be quite easy to set the BFO frequency to a desirable setting.

On Linux there is a great open-source audio spectrum analyzer called JAAA. On garden-varitey USB sound cards you can see at least an 80 db range. I will use JAAA to view the ubitx audio spectrum and set the BFO accordingly. Then, in the ubitx.ino code, one can tweak the SECOND_OSC_USB and SECOND_OSC_LSB constant definitions to achieve balance when switching sidebands.

I am sure there are useful audio spectrum analyzer programs for Windows and Mac, which would work equally well.

That is my plan for today; I will travel to my shop and will let you know how it works out.

Cheers,

Rod KM6SN

On 01/10/2018 08:59 AM, Dave Bottom wrote:
Rod,

When in SETUP keep turning the knob clockwise and finally BFO Set will appear.  It always starts at the same default frequency (this should be fixed and display the current frequency setting) but then you can change the BFO.  Record your setting so you can try different values, but listening while adjusting on a SSB station works (sort of).

Dave WI6R

On Tue, Jan 9, 2018 at 1:55 PM, Rod Self <km6sn@...> wrote:

Hi All,

How does one get into setup to set the BFO frequency? The instructions on the web site appear not to work.

Rod KM6SN

--
73 Dave WI6R