Re: Going digital? #ubitx

MVS Sarma

ven audio transformers could be avoided using ^N139 high speed optos. they can transfer data of few KBPS

 I recall one German guy who interfaced DRM signals (Digital radio Mondial) using this technique andhe as abl;e to decode the resultant audio.

Hope this small trick helps reduce volumes of Audio transformers making Interface cards much cute.

regaRDS
 SARMA
 VU3ZMV

Regards
MVS Sarma

On Mon, Jan 8, 2018 at 10:56 PM, David Arthur <mumrah@...> wrote:
Easy Digi is an ebay kit which includes two audio transformers and an opto-isolator. It is ~$10 and provides suitable isolation between the rig and computer. You'll need custom cabling unless you're willing to shell out a few extra bucks for a pre-built Easy Digi with cables.

The kit version is a very simple through-hole kit. Soldering is required, but very approachable.

If you go with the kit, you'll also need something for the PTT circuit. Unless your computer has RS232, you'll need a USB to RS232 converter. This could be an adaptor (pricey), or a cheap FTDI board off ebay (few bucks).

It's also recommended to use a dedicated sound card interface. Search on Amazon for "USB sound card" less than $10. If you use your system sound interfaces, you might be transmitting your "received email" noise :)

Come chat on the Discord (link in my sig) and we'll help you out

On Mon, Jan 8, 2018 at 12:12 PM Kerry via Groups.Io <write2kerry=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I'm not familiar with Easy Digi.  I don't know enough about this to dive into a schematic with any confidence but if you are selling one in the near future, I'm interested.

--
David K4DBZ
Unofficial bitx chatroom: https://discord.gg/CrHvWFc