Re: BITX QSO Night, Sunday, January 7, 7pm Local Time, 7277 kHz in North America, 7177 kHz elsewhere

Gordon Gibby <ggibby@...>

This is kinda  normal....the critical frequency (vertical 180 degree refraction) is dropping to 80 meters or BELOW right after dark over a lot of North America....traffic hounds in the north are having to use 160 meters at times....   

Cuba station checked into my WINLINK server in late afternoon on 40 meters --- 570 km south of me, great propagation.  

Australia has multiple web pages that show exactly how propgation is going and what frequencies will work for what distances, anywhere in the world, all based on radioionosonde data gathered from those stations scattered around the world.....

take a look at this web page:   http://www.sws.bom.gov.au/HF_Systems/6/5

As I write this, the critical frequency for most of north america is TWO MEGAHERTZ.

If you're working a longer distances, the MUF will of course be higher than the CRITICAL FREQUENCY as glancing signals are much more easily refracted than straight-up-and-down ones, but this is all fairly well understood and available information now for all of us to use!

Cheers,

gordon

From: BITX20@groups.io <BITX20@groups.io> on behalf of Tom VE3THR <muzzmobility@...>
Sent: Sunday, January 7, 2018 11:03 PM
To: BITX20@groups.io
Subject: Re: [BITX20] BITX QSO Night, Sunday, January 7, 7pm Local Time, 7277 kHz in North America, 7177 kHz elsewhere

noticed same thing here up north since last fall. After grey line NOTHING! Local path only. I suggest earlier times - 4pm EDT - 2100 Z perhaps. Real hit and miss an evening net this time of year and crappy propagation. Thanks for trying. I usually listen on 7.277 during the day if I'm in the shack and not doing my "chores". Don't be afraid to call CQ anytime anywhere.

Join BITX20@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.