Re: BITX QSO Night, Sunday, January 7, 7pm Local Time, 7277 kHz in North America, 7177 kHz elsewhere

Gordon Gibby <ggibby@...>

This is kinda  normal....the critical frequency (vertical 180 degree refraction) is dropping to 80 meters or BELOW right after dark over a lot of North America....traffic hounds in the north are having to use 160 meters at times....

Cuba station checked into my WINLINK server in late afternoon on 40 meters --- 570 km south of me, great propagation.

Australia has multiple web pages that show exactly how propgation is going and what frequencies will work for what distances, anywhere in the world, all based on radioionosonde data gathered from those stations scattered around the world.....

take a look at this web page:   http://www.sws.bom.gov.au/HF_Systems/6/5

As I write this, the critical frequency for most of north america is TWO MEGAHERTZ.

If you're working a longer distances, the MUF will of course be higher than the CRITICAL FREQUENCY as glancing signals are much more easily refracted than straight-up-and-down ones, but this is all fairly well understood and available information now for all of us to use!

Cheers,

gordon