Re: BCI filter question.

K9HZ <bill@...>

You can build an excellent W3NQN BC filter for about $5.

Dr. William J. Schmidt - K9HZ J68HZ 8P6HK ZF2HZ PJ4/K9HZ VP5/K9HZ PJ2/K9HZ

Owner - Operator

Big Signal Ranch – K9ZC

Staunton, Illinois

Owner – Operator

Villa Grand Piton - J68HZ

Soufriere, St. Lucia W.I.

Rent it: www.VillaGrandPiton.com

email:  bill@...

On Jan 2, 2018, at 7:52 AM, KG5NII <kg5nii@...> wrote:

I am thinking seriously about experimenting with the uBitX but am wondering in advance if someone could suggest  a good broadcast band filter I can build that is known to be effective. I live less than 1 mile (1.6 km) from a 50 kW AM broadcast station transmitting on 1180 kHz. I know this will be a problem with on the uBitX as even on mid, high end commercial ham rigs I get significant interference on 3540, 7040, 14160 kHz and so on.   In fact, I'd probably want to build an additional one for my Yaesu.  I know there are a lot of circuits out there for BCI filters but that doesn't necessarily mean they are or would be effective.  Cost is a major concern,  and commercial filter units seem to be rather pricey, but on the other hand, purchasing the components, etc may not necessarily be cost effective either given the somewhat high cost of shipping and given that  not everything could necessarily be purchased from one place, thereby rising costs even more.    I'd probably want to build one for the uBitX and one for my 100W Yaesu  just to give it over and done with.  There is not a day that goes by that I do not wish the four AM 1180 transmitter  towers down the road from me  are flattened by a tornado until I realize that would only be a temporary reprieve at best  but building, installing some good filters will be a permanent one.

So advice please.

Thanks.

Ron, KG5NII