Re: Tell me your favorite uBitx mods

Dave Bottom <ars.kd6az@...>

Hi Martin,

 A Second Story is a neat idea that could eliminate wiring with a suitable case that can take advantage of PCB mounted connectors.
Here's my wish list...

Important:
1) Well the top of my list is a really effective AGC.  This is what separates a really great rig from a really good rig.
The basic MicroBITX so reminds me of my SBE SB-33 (1966 - mobile rig) it is the audio derived AGC.
Back in the day Collins S-Line had great (but complex) AGC that worked(s) great, but..
Nearly every Heathkit SSB rig back in the day had great AGC whether it was a tube HW-12 or a solid state HW-104.
Check out the HW-104 AGC system...

2) Solid CW Keying and for a paddle

3) USB interface to rear panel -  One big reason for this kit is to become proficient working with software.

4) Well if those are done an S-Meter is nice.

Nice to have:
4) Momentary button to toggle between VFO A and VFO B.  If you work split this is really necessary (Yes, I chase DX on QRP)

5) Mic Pre-Amp and Mic Gain -  I added this tonight with the PCB temporarily stuck on the rear panel (all my jacks are on the rear panel out of the way of knobs.
It helps a little so I don't feel like I have to climb in the Mic, however a Speech Compressor might be more worthwhile.  Being able to use typical Electret Condenser Mics (e.g. ICOM radios) it needs more gain and an adjustment even if a PCB mounted internally accessible set and forget pot.

6) Keying interface for a Linear.  Band data and keying - This baby will drive an RF-KIT 2K+ LDMOS linear to legal limit. (when life is too short for QRP)

When you have nothing better to do:
7) VSWR Bridge with Display for forward/reflected power.  The tuner gets a lot simpler and an external tuner may not need power (manual tuner).

Oh, wait, didn't you do that one already?  LOL

Dave WI6R

On Sun, Dec 31, 2017 at 6:29 PM, Diver Martin <diver.martin@...> wrote:
Hello all,

As I'm doing a motherboard mod, I'm looking to incorporate a bunch of mods into one PCB.  Right now, what I've got going are the following:

* A tuner + SWR Bridge (phase detector maybe?)
* A spot for an RTL-SDR (blogV3) dongle
* AGC Modifications
* Integrating LCD and headphone/mic/BNC/Power/etc jacks into the PCB

Other things I've thought about, space depending:

*Adding in footprints for a chinese AD9850 DDS module for one of the clock signals

I would like to hear the top mods you've done, and what you'd love to see integrated into a motherboard PCB that fits on top of the uBitx.  Battery charger?  Battery adapter? I dunno, bring it on!  If you have a favorite AGC mod, please tell me about it, and make some suggestions as well.  This is not promising to be a cheap kit, and full of SMT, but something I might make available.

Happy new year,

--
Martin Held - AE7EU
http://ae7eu.com/