Re: Tuner? Well Sure!

Gordon Gibby <ggibby@...>

Hi,  

WINLINK and ALE are two different animals.

Both scan frequencies on multiple bands constantly.   WINLINK scan each frequency for 3-6 seconds depending on which modes are to be  detected.   ALE scans each frequency for 1, 1/2 or 1/5 second depending on operator preference (I think).   1 second is OK, 1/2 second is considered good and 1/5 second speed is considered excellent.

For both systems, the "crude" solution is simply not to tune until there is actually transmission occurring.   

I *think* for ALE it is a more constant power, just moving between 8 tones (but not sure about that yet)

For WININK it can be a mess, with multiple different protocols being transmitted.   I've watched LDG tuners iterate throughout the entire 10 second call and still not be matched because they keep being thrown for a loop by all the changing amplitudes etc.

Once a setting is memorized, tuners seem to do MUCH better for both.

Both systems however spend MOST of their time SCANNING and hence they are changing  bands but there is no transmitted energy so the automated tuner has no idea what is going on.....

This leads to less-than-optimal energy reaching the receiver at times.....Winlink sometimes implments a venerable soution of just tuning for the HIGHEST band and leaving it there while they do receiver scanning until next needed.

it would be brighter for both systems if some means of RFI-impervious connection between the transceiver and the tuner allowed it to know when receive frequency was changing.   However, this might lead to a HUGE number of relay clicks particularly for ALE at fast scan  rates, and this might be prohibitive for long term reliability.   WINLINK's slow scan rate might make it workable.

FEW PEOPLE ACTUALLY NEED THAT RECEIVE ADJUSTMENT CAPABILITY however --- so it may not be commercially viable.   There are maybe 50 server stations for winlink in the US and I don't know how many ALE users are actually ever active.

OK....that may be far more than you wanted to know, but understanding the user-issues always seemed important to me in product development.

I'm suspecting that there are far fewer people who want the lowest current drain for battery usage....and far more who would appreciate lower cost and are willing to provide power for relays where needed.....but this is just a guess.   I haven't watched to see what kind of relays are used in the MFJ and LDG products but their gear is commercially successfulll.....just pricey.​   Relays must be chaper than variable capacitors and servo motors!

Gordon

From: BITX20@groups.io <BITX20@groups.io> on behalf of K9HZ <bill@...>
Sent: Sunday, December 31, 2017 2:23 PM
To: BITX20@groups.io
Subject: Re: [BITX20] Tuner? Well Sure!

I’ve never done winlink ALE so I don’t know the requirements… but if someone would care to enlighten me on what they would be and how it impacts the tuner I’d be happy to look into it…

Dr. William J. Schmidt - K9HZ J68HZ 8P6HK ZF2HZ PJ4/K9HZ VP5/K9HZ PJ2/K9HZ

Owner - Operator

Big Signal Ranch – K9ZC

Staunton, Illinois

Owner – Operator

Villa Grand Piton – J68HZ

Soufriere, St. Lucia W.I.

Rent it: www.VillaGrandPiton.com

Like us on Facebook! facebook icon

email:  bill@...

From: BITX20@groups.io [mailto:BITX20@groups.io] On Behalf Of KN4GUY JOHN DEJARNETTE
Sent: Sunday, December 31, 2017 12:46 PM
To: BITX20@groups.io
Subject: Re: [BITX20] Tuner? Well Sure!

Dr Schmidt

I am very interested in the kit. 

As a new ham I get a lot of enjoyment from assembling kits and tinkering. 

The Bitx makes it affordable and easy to learn. 

An antenna tuner that can accommodate winlink ALE would be great!

John

KN4GUY 

Join BITX20@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.