Re: how to coil your own cables

Ashhar Farhan

Nice hack!

On 23 Dec 2017 3:10 am, "JP JO" <jaredmcg@...> wrote:
Thanks. A while back I watched a YouTube on same subject. After the hearing the guy spun it backwards to make it snugger (if that's a word)

Sent by me

On Dec 22, 2017, at 2:29 PM, Lawrence Galea <9h1avlaw@...> wrote:

Years ago I used boiling water making sure that the ends were not in the water.
Instead of a heat gun you could borrow the xyl hair dryer.
Whatever works for you.
Regards
Lawrence

On Fri, Dec 22, 2017 at 4:57 PM, Doug W <KD9CYF@...> wrote:
two disclaimers before this post
1) This may be common knowledge but it is new to me.
2) I am only describing what worked for me.  If you ruin your cables, your oven, your house or your marriage kindly forget you heard this from me.

I wanted coiled cables but didn't have any in my junk pile.  After some quick searching, I learned it is very easy to coil cables yourself.  I did not take pictures along the way so I will do my best to describe the process.  Take the straight cable and tape one end around something round like a dowel, pencil, knitting needle or what ever you have.  Wrap it around as long as you want taping the other end when you are done.  I used electrical tape.  You want the wraps to be snug against each other.  Next you need to heat the cable.  I read some people use hot or boiling water.  I used my oven which has a keep warm setting at 190F (about 88C).  I put the wrapped cable on aluminum foil and left it in the oven for about 45 minutes checking every 5 or 10 minutes.  You want the cable very warm to the touch but not hot.  Take it out of the oven and let it cool completely.  I think a heat gun would be easier but I don't have one.  I still shrink my shrink wrap with a lighter.  I did the one below a few weeks ago and it is still holding its shape and is still springy.