Re: Allard's Capacitive touch keyer

John McFadden <johnamcf@...>

Has anyone made a desktop capacitive paddle?

I was thinking about a wood base filled with lead shot, but the difficulty of making the top half look "nice" and figuring out size/spacing/etc put the project towards the bottom of my priority list.

John

On 12/16/2017 2:33 PM, Jack Purdum via Groups.Io wrote:
All:

I think it was yesterday that Allard told us about his capacitive touch keyer (CTK) and his Youtube video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MWM6UVy9k4) demonstrating it. (There is also code for a CTK in the Projects book.) Allard's video shows just how cool this keyer is and how inexpensively it can be build. Some other posts have shown the QRPGuys mini keyer (which I also have and like very much) attached to a BITX. However, my new µBITX is going to be moved around a lot and I worry about snapping off the mini keyer or snagging the "bolts" that Allard uses on something during my travels.

I haven't thought this through yet, but here's what I want to do: build a CTK using something like Allard's bolts, but have them slide into the case when not in use so there's nothing to "snag onto" during transport. Then, when I want to use the keyer, I "unlatch something" (?), pull the bolts (or whatever, since almost anything can be used) out, and I'm ready to go. That would make it less susceptible to snagging and breaking, plus a CTK reduces weight since you don't need a set of paddles. Ashhar's code for the µBITX is only about 19K, so there'd be plenty of room in the code space and there are some free pins on the Nano. Right now, I'm just not sure of what's the best design for "hiding" the keyer's touch surfaces when in transport.

Ideas??

Jack, W8TEE