Re: SDR dongle for spectrum analyzer with signal from Bitx40?

John McFadden <johnamcf@...>

I think most would have the SDR dongle attached to the computer outside the Bitx's enclosure, so they could use the dongle with other antennas for different applications.

I was going to run the coax from the cap/tap on the PCB to a BNC panel mount on the exterior and then connect the SDR at will. For example, I may not want to bring the SDR, computer, and monitor while doing POTA.

John

On Dec 13, 2017 2:47 PM, "Jerry Gaffke via Groups.Io" <jgaffke=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
The really cheap SDR dongles (meant for DVB-T television reception, $10) can get down to 30mhz without a downconverter (as I recall).
They only have an 8bit A2D converter, so reception with the uBitx receiver would have much more dynamic range.
The uBitx has a 45mhz first IF which should be within reach for the DVB-T dongle for displaying a spectrum of what's in the band,
tap in the dongle just prior to the 45mhz crystal filter so you can see more than a few khz worth.  Downside is this may inject a lot of hash
into the uBitx receiver, good luck getting rid of that.  Maybe a buffer amp of the 45mhz IF inside the uBitx enclosure, a coax going out
to a separate box for the dongle?

On Wed, Dec 13, 2017 at 10:27 am, Arvo KD9HLC wrote:
What would be the advantages of using anything else for RX?  (I'm kinda new at all this.)

And if one is going to set up a spectrum analyzer that (from what I understand from the original post) picks off the incoming signal inside the BitX, why not just use the SDR for RX?