Re: On the subject of fake IRF510

MVS Sarma

i agree with Richard;s view point. While making fake devices, the seller also need to spend time and energy.

 IMHO, Fakes are made generally for costly devices like R16HHF1 and 2sc1971 etc . one might offer irf5xx  re-printing as RD16HHF1.

 I too got some fake RDs and as I paid far less, I use them as if IRF5xx.
Thus I feel , cost alone doesn't make an item genuine.

I saw ebay ads wherein the item description, BRAND is mentioned as unknown, or Generic, or Unbranded.  these things are generally not  to be taken for granted.

Some sellers,  I saw,  clearly mention the real brand name. They are little costlier .  Once that brand is filled correctly, perhaps one can believe.

A  nice discussion as how NOT to get cheated.
Regards
 sarma
 vu3zmv

On Sun, Jul 16, 2017 at 2:00 AM, Richard Andrew Knack via Groups.Io <ihc73scout2@...> wrote:
One thing to keep in mind is. IRF-510's are actually power MOSFETs, and NOT originally designed for RF amplification. Tolerances that might be acceptable for the original intended purpose, might not be sufficient for use as RF devices, so if you get MOSFETs that are at the extremes of the tolerance levels, they might blow when used as RF devices even though they may have worked just fine in power applications. So cut-rate IRF-510's might not be "counterfeits" per se, but they may have been near the edges of their tolerances (or even somewhat out of tolerance).

Rich
KC8MWG

On Saturday, July 15, 2017, 3:05:40 PM EDT, Ken Hansen <ken@...> wrote:

No, see comment below

On Jul 15, 2017, at 11:10 AM, Arv Evans <arvid.evans@...> wrote:

In the discussion on Hackaday they talk about obtaining the counterfeits from
reputable dealers like Digikey and Mouser.  This is interesting because other
similar discussions claim that we should be purchasing from Digikey and
Mouser to avoid counterfeit components from Chinese Ebay vendors.

The individual bought the parts on eBay, he didn't want to pay Mouser or Digikey shipping prices for such an inexpensive part:

"Instead, [Ryan] found a supplier for five of these MOSFETs for $6 shipped. This was a good deal and a bad move because those new parts were fakes. Now we have an opportunity to play spot the fake MOSFET"

The fakes were 5 for $6 shipped.

Ken, N2VIP

--
Regards