Re: On the subject of fake IRF510

Arv Evans

Ken

There have always been claims and discussions about so-called "counterfeit components".  Some of these discussions are valid and some seem to be
just one-upmanship or competition placing fake news to denigrate a competing
product.

In the discussion on Hackaday they talk about obtaining the counterfeits from
reputable dealers like Digikey and Mouser.  This is interesting because other
similar discussions claim that we should be purchasing from Digikey and
Mouser to avoid counterfeit components from Chinese Ebay vendors.

The Hackaday discussion is also interesting because they did not do any real
engineer-level testing of the components to see exactly how good or bad the
components might be.  It is mostly anecdotal data and opinion.

Interesting observation is that many of the US and EU original manufacturers
only directly support their designs for a couple of years and then license these
designs for manufacture by off-shore entities like Samsung, Tom-Top, and so on.
Supposedly these licensed copies are held to the same specifications as the
original because the initial designer usually buys future stock for the licensed
manufacturers for their own use and sale.

Given all the cross-manufacturing agreements, is there really any way we can
be assured that we are purchasing OEM or at least legally licensed components
from reputable sources?

Arv

On Sat, Jul 15, 2017 at 8:38 AM, Ken Hansen <ken@...> wrote:
Saw this Hackaday post related to the BITX, thought others might find it interesting.