Re: Adding speech compression.

John Smith

I listened to it. Everything I have read and heard, all are the same. It's great to help being heard through QRN or QRM, There are different ways to do it like audio clipping or RF clipping. And lots of caution about using it poorly, or it amplifies all room noise, or so and so forth.

Bottom line- If you got it, try it. If it helps, great. Otherwise, leave it alone.

I showed the schematic from Allard to someone, and he said the two diodes are shorting the AC signal to ground, and would result in a lower quieter signal.

It's still a mystery to me how that would work. I am going to try out that circuit I posted a link to when I get the transistor it uses. Or maybe sub the part.