Re: Replacing the 7805 on the Raduino so something that does not get so hot

Michael Hagen

Hi,

I would try a resistor in series to the 7805, I have used really small and cheap ones from Mouser.  Usually 1 watt, they are like 0.4" long and $0.10.

Up the resistance until the voltage at the 7805 meets requirements.  Probably 8V will be enough.  Or put a 7809 in front?

The other thing, put a TO220 big regulator on it.  Also, if you have an LCD with back light, connect it to 12V thru a bigger resistor to take

the current out of the small regulator.  That is usually 50 ma or so.  You could maybe add a second regulator just for the LED back light, it is current you are setting, not voltage.

The switching version my not be good in a radio!  May have some nice birdies!

I never use the regulator built into Nano Arduinos, it is so cheap to put a TO-220 one external?

I have blow up the ones on the Nanos,  Nano is my favorite, I have used several of them in projects. eBay for a few bucks.

73s

Mike, WA6ISP