Re: Chip pad

Jim Strohm <jstrohm@...>

On Jun 29, 2004, at 3:31 AM, g4dfv2004 wrote:

An easier method to make a pad for non-SMD IC's is to use 0.1"
Veroboard instead of plain copper laminate.
Then only one saw/knife cut is required.
KISS?
And an even easier -- yet vastly more expensive -- method is to use one of the etched adapter boards that brings out the pins from a surface-mount chip to 0.1-in spacing pads. SMD chips can be soldered to these with little difficulty and a small iron as Hans noted. Nowadays I use a lighted magnifier -- even on DIP stuff -- because it's a lot easier on me.

And I have a cute little Intel Play USB microscope that has a 10X setting for the more challenging SMD stuff.

Jim N6OTQ