Re: Altoids tin? go small???

Hans Summers <Hans.Summers@...>

I like that kind of challenge too, though I have yet to even finish my
conventionally sized BITX :-(

If you look in your component catalogues you will find very small
alternatives to large conventional items such as potentiometers. One example
is a kind of preset trimmer which has an 11 x 11mm footprint nd is 10mm
high. See Farnell part number 452853 or this link:
http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSearch/partDetail.jsp?SKU=452853 (I hope the
link works for you). Despite only being a trimmer potentiometer, is actually
has a tiny knob instead of just a screwdriver hole. The little knob can be
turned between thumb and finger, though obviously not as easily as a real
full size knob.

Other ideas:

The VFO course and fine tune could be replaced by a single multiturn
ultraminiature preset potentiometer, these come with a small protruding
metal shaft to take a flat-headed screwdriver. You can glue a small PCB disk
onto the shaft in order to turn it. This idea replaces the two separate
controls for course and fine tuning, but it does mean that you won't have
any idea where on the band you are tuned to. Unless you 1) count turns, 2)
miniature frequency counter such as
http://www.hanssummers.com/radio/sfreq/index.htm (could be made even smaller
using Surface Mount Devices) 3) meter the tuning voltage somehow.

You can get very tiny switches too, as well as other miniature components
for things like headphone sockets etc.

PCB: you can get board which has half the thickness of the usual stuff.
Might not sound like much difference, but volume consumed by the PCB is
wasted volume!

With "ugly" construction you can be VERY compact, provided you don't mind
double- or tripple-deckering your components!

73 Hans G0UPL