Re: Altoids tin? go small???

Rahul Srivastava

Hi!

Seriously I was wondering we can try using lower footprint components like 1/8W resistor, MLCC caps,7mm formers, low profile xtals. The mosfet can be probably SMD type direct on peice of scrap board. Even binoculor cores are available in abt 5mm sq size, most of the commercial manufacturer prefers to use these rather than the bigger ones.

Unfortunately I do not get Altiods here in Lucknow so a rough dimension will be helpful this looks like a neat challenge.

73

Rahul VU3WJM

Jim Strohm wrote:

On Sep 10, 2005, at 10:40 AM, Ashhar Farhan wrote:

> the tins at my convenience store were the mini box variety.
> it can be done. you will have to shift to a VCO and probably
> decrease the
> power level to a watt or thereabouts.

Hmm, some of us cheat, and place our heatsinks on the outside on the
bottom of the tin, and extend control shafts outside the can as
well.  C'mon, your mic, key, and antenna are on the outside of the tin!

I may try winding the transformers on toroids rather than binocular
balun cores -- that'll save me a lot of room if I can get something
close to the same impedance.  (Hint -- put one winding at the
specified number of turns on the balun core and measure its
inductance, then match that inductance on the toroid with one
winding.  Then go bifilar or trifilar.  This works about half the
time in lo-power networks.)  And those faucet washers?  More toroids,
because I have a deep junkbox thanks to junk computers and telecom gear.

Dead-bug and Manhattan-style construction, with pieces of tin snipped
from other Altoids cans, should make this fit.

But it might get be drummed out of the local QRP group, because an
Altoid BITX is still phone.

Jim N6OTQ