Re: Lockdown :(

Chris Kennedy

Hi Derry
I used Australian Hoop Pine A Bond Marine Ply

On Sunday, April 19, 2020, 9:01 pm, derry <dbelcher07@...> wrote:

Hi Scott.  I'm interested in what 1/8" skinning ply was used in the BG12s built in Australia?

cheers
Derry

On Sun, 19 Apr 2020 at 22:42, Scott Johnson <s_johnson@...> wrote:

Hello all,

Like Chris, I too was guided by Mike Burns on my build of the 12A.

Mike emphasised to stick to the plans and don’t add extra ‘cause it doesn’t look good enough. I did and the pilot weights are 78 kg to 124 kg.

I painted my BG in marine epoxy primer/sealer. 3 coats, and only added 1 kg to the fuselage. Water based house paint to give UV protection to the water protection. A bonus is that the epoxy will soften the house paint and bond through it – good news for repairs.

The negative with the house paint is that it softens enough on hot days (30 +) so that the tyre on the wing tip will stain the paint.

Again, Mike said that 1 gram extra at the tail is worth about 4 extra grams in the cockpit – I knew less than nothing about weight and balance at that time.

Hope some of my experience is helpful.

Scott