Re: Lockdown :(

Chris Kennedy

Hi Derry
I used Australian Hoop Pine A Bond Marine Ply

On Sunday, April 19, 2020, 9:01 pm, derry <dbelcher07@...> wrote:

Hi Scott.  I'm interested in what 1/8" skinning ply was used in the BG12s built in Australia?

cheers
Derry

On Sun, 19 Apr 2020 at 22:42, Scott Johnson <s_johnson@...> wrote:

Hello all,

Like Chris, I too was guided by Mike Burns on my build of the 12A.

Mike emphasised to stick to the plans and don’t add extra ‘cause it doesn’t look good enough. I did and the pilot weights are 78 kg to 124 kg.

I painted my BG in marine epoxy primer/sealer. 3 coats, and only added 1 kg to the fuselage. Water based house paint to give UV protection to the water protection. A bonus is that the epoxy will soften the house paint and bond through it – good news for repairs.

The negative with the house paint is that it softens enough on hot days (30 +) so that the tyre on the wing tip will stain the paint.

Again, Mike said that 1 gram extra at the tail is worth about 4 extra grams in the cockpit – I knew less than nothing about weight and balance at that time.

Hope some of my experience is helpful.

Scott

From: BGsailplanes@groups.io [mailto:BGsailplanes@groups.io] On Behalf Of derry
Sent: Sunday, 19 April 2020 07:30
To: BGsailplanes@groups.io
Subject: Re: [BGsailplanes] Lockdown :(

My ship is quite heavy due to the denser 1/8" ply I used and I am sure Steve also used the marine grade Island kauri as well.  Add to that mine also has epoxy/2oz glass sheathing all over.

At my flying weight of 800 lb the 12-16 has the wing area to climb as well as a PW-5 in scratchy thermals so you can rest easy.  The extra mass of the BG means it happily gets along on ridges or cloud streets above 70 kts. I often find myself hitting 90kts without any conscious effort.

Flying in choppy wave down south one time, the experienced K8b pilot flying with me complained that it was too rough for him whereas you barely noticed it in the 12-16... possibly lying back so much helps in this regard.

On Sun, 19 Apr 2020, 09:02 Derry Belcher, <dbelcher07@...> wrote:

Looking good Nick.  I'll weigh one of my stabilators today to compare, or maybe need to weigh both to average as one has the extra joiner tube.  I wouldn't lose sleep over the weight as the lead counter-balance weight for the stabilator is quite a lump. 🥴

On Sat, 18 Apr 2020, 19:04 , <soloflight@...> wrote:

I weighed one of my stabilators it is 2.8kg including the anti servo tab but without paint 

Join BGsailplanes@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.