Swiss Rail book site?

keithwwalker

I seem to recall there was a really super German language website that dealt Swiss rail and bus literature.
I can not find it now.
Does anyone know of the site, or what happened to it if it is now defunct?

Thanks
Keith W

keithwwalker

Edited

NVM, found it after a day of searching!
An excellent site on Swiss rail literature:
http://www.bahn-bus-ch.de/bahnen/biblio.html

Andy

Ah, but it's 'horses for courses', Keith. What do you want the
website for: to browse specific subjects or to find sources of a
specific book?

Regards, Andy

----- Original Message -----
To: BEMO@groups.io
Sent: Wednesday, August 08, 2018 10:47 PM
Subject: [BEMO] Swiss Rail book site?

I seem to recall there was a really super German language website
that dealt Swiss rail and bus literature.
I can not find it now.
Does anyone know of the site, or what happened to it if it is now
defunct?

Thanks
Keith W

keithwwalker

All of the above, Andy! Its the best Swiss rail book site I have seen & it has depth not just for my favorite RhB, but will let me research other railroads like MOB. It sure beats googling a rr & hoping books pop up in search results.

keithwwalker

The site is a taxonomy of books, only hyperlinks to publishers. It does not point to retail sources or endorse sales.

Guerbetaler

Am 09.08.2018 um 17:26 schrieb keithwwalker via Groups.Io:
Its the best Swiss rail book site I have seen & it has depth not just
for my favorite RhB, but will let me research other railroads like
MOB. It sure beats googling a rr & hoping books pop up in search
results.
It's true that he lists a good number of the best books about Swiss railways and public transport. And there is also a good number of other publications. So, finding a book in this list is not a sign of quality, it's only a sign of existence. ;-)

And I should add, that most books have some sort of quality, but not all the same. So if you want to learn more about a title, don't hesitate to ask here.

Markus, Gürbetal

Andy

Yes, I had a look, Keith; so well done for a) remembering it and b)
for advising us of it.

FYI, when it comes to finding copies of rare and/or out-of-print
books, I found ABE books well worth registering with. They
(eventually) found me my copy of the long-out-of-print "Alpenmen &
Maiensässe" and at a fair price, considering some of the prices I
found it offered for...

Anybody else still modelling the RhB out there???

Regards, Andy McMillan

----- Original Message -----
To: BEMO@groups.io
Sent: Thursday, August 09, 2018 4:26 PM
Subject: Re: [BEMO] Swiss Rail book site?

All of the above, Andy! Its the best Swiss rail book site I have
seen & it has depth not just for my favorite RhB, but will let me
research other railroads like MOB. It sure beats googling a rr &
hoping books pop up in search results.

keithwwalker

Thank you Markus.

One book series I have wondered about is Claude Jeanmaire, Die elektrischen und Dieseltriebfahrzeuge Schweizerischer Eisenbahnen. I own No. 219
Are Archives Nos. 19. 20 and 48 essentially older volumes that were updated with 219?

And to keep this BEMO related, I am searching for a starter set of the Bernina Express. The latest BEMO catalog I have does not list a set.
Also a Valser car, since I spent a few days in Vals, wow what a village!

Guerbetaler

Am 11.08.2018 um 11:31 schrieb keithwwalker via Groups.Io:
One book series I have wondered about is Claude Jeanmaire, Die elektrischen und Dieseltriebfahrzeuge Schweizerischer Eisenbahnen.
I own No. 219 Are Archives Nos. 19. 20 and 48 essentially older
volumes that were updated with 219?
Preliminary remark: Claude Jeanmaire was a great collector of photos,
plans and technical articles. His contribution to the books were his own
photos, while his own texts are not that remarkable... ;-) But in the
earlier editions he did a very good job in putting together complete
surveys of a subject. Later on he reused what he had already done before
and added some colour photos (Archiv 219).

Archiv 19 (1973) contains apart from motive power also very broad
information about carriages and wagons. This book is still my reference
for anything RhB until Einheitswagen I.

Archiv 219 (1995) reused the motive power part and added colour photos
but unfortunately left away the info about pulled rolling stock.

Archiv 20 (1975) is about the d.c. lines of RhB of then: BB, ChA
and BM or for those not so familiar with these abbreviations:
BB = Berninabahn = last remaining d.c. line of RhB
ChA = Chur-Arosa, working on a.c. since 1997
BM = Bellinzona - Mesocco, closed for passenger in 1972, for freight in
2003 and for the remaining heritage traffic in 2014

Archiv 48 (1987) is a complement to Archiv 20 but only about Berninabahn

Archiv 22 is about Steam locomotives of RhB and line descriptions
including some interesting plans as the replacement of the Klosters
terminus-type station in 1930

The difference to the Finke/Schweers books is that Jeanmaire reproduced original vehicle plans, drawn by the builders or RhB. This results in less complete but more correct information. Generally, Jeanmaire put more photos in his books than Finke/Schweers.

Markus

Vincent Wesstein

Markus wrote:
"The difference to the Finke/Schweers books is that Jeanmaire reproduced original vehicle plans, drawn by the builders or RhB. This results in less complete but more correct information. Generally, Jeanmaire put more photos in his books than Finke/Schweers."

It's worth noting publishers introduce *deliberate errors* in drawings, maps, etc, in order to proof future copyright infringement. For the hobbyist this isn't an issue (except when trying to build some model from it) but when your livelihood depends on selling that info/data, the last thing you want is someone else using your work w/o paying you compensation! So, IMO it's a little unfair to slash Finke/Schweers for publishing these 'errors' in their RhB books, as I've seen elsewhere. Yes it's a nuisance to modellers like us who create models in 3D printing, but they're only protecting their intellectual property. Mind, given the quality of modern DTP tools, copyright infringement is very easy nowadays whereas back in the early 70's, when Jeanmaire published his books, it was considerably more difficult to reproduce someone else's drawings/publications.

tudor erich

Hello Vincent,
Can you identify any models of BVZ, FO or RhB personwagen being 3d printed?
I`m looking for certain vehicles that might be available this way.
Many thanks,
Bernard On Sunday, August 12, 2018, 8:45:45 AM GMT+1, Vincent Wesstein <vincentwesstein@gmail.com> wrote:

Markus wrote:
"The difference to the Finke/Schweers books is that Jeanmaire reproduced original vehicle plans, drawn by the builders or RhB. This results in less complete but more correct information. Generally, Jeanmaire put more photos in his books than Finke/Schweers."

It's worth noting publishers introduce *deliberate errors* in drawings, maps, etc, in order to proof future copyright infringement. For the hobbyist this isn't an issue (except when trying to build some model from it) but when your livelihood depends on selling that info/data, the last thing you want is someone else using your work w/o paying you compensation! So, IMO it's a little unfair to slash Finke/Schweers for publishing these 'errors' in their RhB books, as I've seen elsewhere. Yes it's a nuisance to modellers like us who create models in 3D printing, but they're only protecting their intellectual property. Mind, given the quality of modern DTP tools, copyright infringement is very easy nowadays whereas back in the early 70's, when Jeanmaire published his books, it was considerably more difficult to reproduce someone else's drawings/publications.

Guerbetaler

Am 12.08.2018 um 09:45 schrieb Vincent Wesstein:
It's worth noting publishers introduce*deliberate errors* in
drawings, maps, etc, in order to proof future copyright infringement.
For the hobbyist this isn't an issue (except when trying to build
some model from it) but when your livelihood depends on selling that
info/data, the last thing you want is someone else using your work
w/o paying you compensation!
I'm not aware of any /deliberate/ error in their books. When I buy a book with infos about rolling stock, then I expect correct info. Anything else is unfair against those who buy the publication!

And as I wrote, Jeanmaire didn't produce drawings. He only published drawings.

Markus, Gürbetal

keithwwalker

imo, I believe that taking a 2d drawing and creating a 3d model is a 'transformable work' and therefore not covered under copy write infringement, unless the publisher of said work states as much. This is well covered in copy righted law. But even if Schweers reserves that right, they do not own the 3d work, but only a portion thereof. Anyway, the Schweers drawings are no where near enough information to create an accurate 3d model, since they rarely show top and front views.

Vincent Wesstein

Hello Bernard,

Not directly, but a search on some of the 3D prototype printing companies may yield results. Try Materialize (Belgium) and Shapeways (NL) for starters.

PS: sorry to be a little late, overlooked the responses here.

Regards, Vincent Wesstein