From: Jason Deese - NOAA Federal
Sent: Thursday, January 9, 2020 7:11 PM
Subject: [! Thu, Jan. 9th - 7 PM Update !] Potential for Severe Weather this Weekend

Good Evening Partners,

The threat for severe weather across the area on Saturday continues to increase. A line of strong to severe thunderstorms will move across the area Saturday afternoon through the evening time period. These storms could last into the overnight period as well given the slightly slower movement.

What's Changed:

·  Due to the elevate severe potential, we will be doing another GoToWebinar for this event on Friday at 1PM. For those registered, please look for an email with login instructions. For those not registered, we will be posting a video of the briefing shortly afterwards and emailing to everyone.

·  Little change in overall thinking, though continued increased confidence in the severe threat given the persistence of the 15% zone across the western half of the area and the 30% zone that is now further east and brushes up against out SW zone. Please see the updated graphics below.

Main Takeaways:

·  For now the greater chance of severe storms looks to be across the western half of the north and central Georgia Saturday (Jan. 11) afternoon into evening (see graphic below from the Storm Prediction Center).

o Main hazards are strong, damaging winds and tornadoes

o All of north and central Georgia should continue to monitor the weather as this outlook is expected to change

·  Periods of heavy rainfall will be possible Saturday through Saturday night with the heaviest amounts likely Saturday afternoon into evening (see graphic below on forecast totals).

o Isolated flooding, ponding of water on roadways and low lying areas, and flooding of creeks and streams is possible.

Graphics:

 Day 3 Convective Outlook

Day 3 Severe Probabilities

Forecast Rainfall Friday Night Through Sunday

Forecast Radar Loop

We will have a special briefing on Friday at 1PM utilizing GoTo Webinar. We will begin doing an email update overnight Friday as well.

If you have any immediate questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us via NWSChat (ffcchat), email (sr-ffc.mets@...) or by phone -- 770-486-1133 (ext. 241 or 242).

Thanks,
NWS Peachtree City/Atlanta Decision Support Team