Topics

[! Fri, Jan. 10th - 7 PM Update !] Severe Weather Expected this Weekend

Elaine Stachowiak - KW4AQ

Begin forwarded message:

From: Jason Deese - NOAA Federal <jason.deese@...>
Date: January 10, 2020 at 6:48:11 PM EST
To: undisclosed-recipients:;
Subject: [! Fri, Jan. 10th - 7 PM Update !] Severe Weather Expected this Weekend

Good Evening Partners,
A line of severe thunderstorms including tornadoes is currently moving through the Central Plains states and is anticipated to impact our area tomorrow. Confidence continues to increase in the severe weather potential for at least the western half of the forecast area including Atlanta, Columbus, and Macon metro regions.

What's Changed:
  • Little change in overall thinking, though continued increased confidence in the severe threat given the persistence of the 15% zone across the western half of the area and the 30% zone that now encomposses the Columbus region. Please see the updated graphics below.
  • A Wind Advisory has been issued for Saturday morning through Saturday evening for all areas.
  • As we transition to warning operations, we will NOT be conducting anymore GoToMeetings for this event. As time allows, it is possible another email will be sent prior to the event Saturday afternoon.
Main Takeaways:
  • For now the greater chance of severe storms looks to be across the western half of the north and central Georgia Saturday (Jan. 11) afternoon into evening (see graphic below from the Storm Prediction Center).
    • Main hazards are strong, damaging winds and tornadoes
    • There is a greater chance of tornadoes along the far western portions of the forecast area.
    • All of north and central Georgia should continue to monitor the weather through Saturday
  • Periods of heavy rainfall will be possible Saturday through Saturday night with the heaviest amounts likely Saturday afternoon into evening (see graphic below on forecast totals).
    • Isolated flooding, ponding of water on roadways and low lying areas, and flooding of creeks and streams is possible.
Graphics:
Day 2 Outlook
SPC_CO_Zoom_Day2.png
Day 2 Severe Probability
SPC_SP_Zoom_Day2.png
Wind Advisory
20200110_WindAdvisory.png
Timing of Severe Weather
20200110_SvrTiming.png
Threat Matrix
image.png
Forecast Radar Animation
output (12).gif

We will be transitioning to warning operations for Saturday but as time allows, one additional email update may be sent.

If you have any immediate questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us via NWSChat (ffcchat), email (sr-ffc.mets@...) or by phone -- 770-486-1133 (ext. 241 or 242).

Thanks,
NWS Peachtree City/Atlanta Decision Support Team