From: "Buzz Kutcher - K3GWK"
To: BC-ARES@groups.io
Sent: Tuesday March 3 2020 8:24:36PM
Subject: [BC-ARES] Cross Band Repeaters

Many dual band FM radios are capable of a mode called Cross Band Repeat.  In CBR the radio receives a SIMPLEX signal on one side of the radio and transmits a SIMPLEX signal on the other.  In true CBR, one side operates on UHF while the other side operates on VHF (or vis versa).  Simplex UHF to VHF repeater operation is also possible.

Before you set up a Cross Band Repeater be sure to check the FCC Rules regarding repeaters and "remote operations".

Buzz Kutcher - K3GWK

Thanks Ken, duty cycle is an important consideration, especially with digital. Special modes are often 100%. The HF tuner I use is rated at 100 Watts on CW and SSB, but 30 on any digital mode.

Buzz, K3GWK

On Mar 4, 2020, at 08:40, Ken Wallis - KM4HOS <kawallis@...> wrote:

Thx Buzz, my ID-5100 'Nifty' manual mentions chk'g the FCC rules too. Something I DIDN'T see in yer attachment or my 5100 'Nifty' was in my FT-8800 'Nifty', it cautions you to reduce the tx pwr on both sides of the radio due to the higher duty cycles involved w/ X-band repeat. Kinda mirrors what you always say about runnin' yer battery down after a while if you don't crank your car up and recharge the battery once in a while. Have a good one, Ken

Many dual band FM radios are capable of a mode called Cross Band Repeat.  In CBR the radio receives a SIMPLEX signal on one side of the radio and transmits a SIMPLEX signal on the other.  In true CBR, one side operates on UHF while the other side operates on VHF (or vis versa).  Simplex UHF to VHF repeater operation is also possible.

Before you set up a Cross Band Repeater be sure to check the FCC Rules regarding repeaters and "remote operations".

Mark Clark - NI2Y <mercer17@...>

Goose point to consider.

73
Mark