Topics

Balloon launch this Saturday? Helium?

Jared Smith

Thanks again to those who helped with the balloon tracking and
recovery last weekend.

If everything comes together and if the weather cooperates, I'm hoping
to try my own launch this Saturday.

Kevin (or others), where do you source the helium from? Do you use the
standard industrial grade helium? Can I just walk into AirGas and get
what I need?

I'm going to float 1 (or maybe 2, depending on my final payload
weight) X 36" mylar balloons. The helium requirement is around 3.5
cubic feet each. So I should be able to do 2 or 3 launches with a Size
20 (20 cubic feet) cylinder.

I'm also designing a new PCB that will act as a shield for the Arduino
Mini. It will have the GPS, transmitter, and charge controller all on
one board and will mate directly with the Arduino via headers - thus
nearly eliminating my need for wires - and greatly reducing the total
payload weight.

I'll keep you apprised of launch details.

Thanks,

Jared

Kevin Reeve

Jared,

We have gotten our helium from USU lab gas sales on campus.
I think they get it from AirGas.

Kevin

On 8/6/17, 6:57 PM, "BARC-HAB@groups.io on behalf of Jared Smith" <BARC-HAB@groups.io on behalf of jared@...> wrote:
[...]

Thanks Kevin. I'll check with AirGas and see what they can provide.

I'm not sure if I'll be able to get a payload fully together by
Saturday, but I'm going to try because the forecast looks good. I have
to launch when it's very clear. I also have to account for downwind
storms to try to avoid high altitude thunderstorms. With a neck lift
of only 2-3 grams (about the weight of a dime) if the balloon passes
through any clouds it will pick up enough condensation to bring it
down.

The USU GAS team is planning a launch tomorrow (Wednesday) with the
payload for the Japanese students. I'm not sure of specifics (date,
location, etc.), but they want to fully support it themselves - which
I think is wonderful (and I'll cross my fingers for their success).
But you may want to monitor APRS or HabHub. I believe the call will be
ERRNO-1.

Jared

On Sun, Aug 6, 2017 at 7:04 PM, Kevin Reeve <kevin.reeve@...> wrote:
[...]

The GAS team balloon is in the air. It's ERRNO-6. Currently at 48,000
approaching Logan from the West. We should be able to see it... even
through the smoke.

Jared

On Tue, Aug 8, 2017 at 4:21 PM, Jared Smith <jared@...> wrote:
[...]

This one has some excellent climbing skills. Doing great!

Kevin

On 8/9/17, 9:36 AM, "BARC-HAB@groups.io on behalf of Jared Smith" <BARC-HAB@groups.io on behalf of jared@...> wrote:
[...]

Oh no! It landed in the retention ponds West of town! Hopefully it
floats and they can retrieve it without too much damage. We'll see if
it continues to beacon.

Jared

On Wed, Aug 9, 2017 at 10:06 AM, Kevin Reeve <kevin.reeve@...> wrote:
[...]

Did you run any predictions?

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 9, 2017, at 10:53 AM, Jared Smith <jared@...> wrote:

[...]

Nope. I didn't have any details on launch time or location. I think
their plan was good, but just bad luck on the landing site.

It's still transmitting, so that's a good sign. Hopefully they can get
with someone at the city and retrieve it. A fishing pole with a big
hook might be necessary.

Jared

On Wed, Aug 9, 2017 at 10:59 AM, Kevin Reeve <kevin.reeve@...> wrote:
[...]

The payload has been recovered from the sewage retention ponds.
Fortunately it landed in a cleaner pond. No word yet on payload
damage.

It appears that the balloons I ordered will not arrive by Saturday, so
I'm now looking at a launch early next week or a week from Saturday.

Jared

On Wed, Aug 9, 2017 at 11:03 AM, Jared Smith <jared@...> wrote:
[...]

Tyler Griffiths

Just an observation...
There looked to be one of the retrival team that was using a TH-D72 with the callsign of GDHILL.
No other identifier...

Tyler Griffiths
N7UWX

See where I am:
http://goo.gl/nC3m57

On Wed, Aug 9, 2017 at 1:21 PM, Jared Smith <jared@...> wrote:
The payload has been recovered from the sewage retention ponds.
Fortunately it landed in a cleaner pond. No word yet on payload
damage.

It appears that the balloons I ordered will not arrive by Saturday, so
I'm now looking at a launch early next week or a week from Saturday.

Jared

On Wed, Aug 9, 2017 at 11:03 AM, Jared Smith <jared@...> wrote:
> Nope. I didn't have any details on launch time or location. I think
> their plan was good, but just bad luck on the landing site.
>
> It's still transmitting, so that's a good sign. Hopefully they can get
> with someone at the city and retrieve it. A fishing pole with a big
> hook might be necessary.
>
> Jared
>

> On Wed, Aug 9, 2017 at 10:59 AM, Kevin Reeve <kevin.reeve@...> wrote:
>> Did you run any predictions?
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>>> On Aug 9, 2017, at 10:53 AM, Jared Smith <jared@...> wrote:
>>>
>>> Oh no! It landed in the retention ponds West of town! Hopefully it
>>> floats and they can retrieve it without too much damage. We'll see if
>>> it continues to beacon.
>>>
>>> Jared

Mitch Smith

Curious that the station icon is the same that Bob Bruninga has been using around Logan (WB4APR-7). A search on aprs.fi also shows a GDHILL-8 in Pennsylvania, at Governor Dick Hill, last beaconed on 15 July. The same day that Bob participated in the Appalachian Golden Packet Event from Governor Dick Hill. No identifier there either. Could he be the culprit? ;)