Topics

USU launch Saturday morning

Jared Smith

I don't have any other details, but if any of you are available to help support this, that would be very helpful. I'm not sure yet if I'll be around. Kevin or I will send more details as we get them.

Jared

Tyler Griffiths

I may be at the one day class. But I do not teach till after lunch so I can probably be there in the morning.

Tyler

On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 7:00 AM Jared Smith <jared@...> wrote:
I don't have any other details, but if any of you are available to help support this, that would be very helpful. I'm not sure yet if I'll be around. Kevin or I will send more details as we get them.

Tyler, Sent from Gmail Mobile

ag1t@...

We won't be able to make it.  We will be out with the scouts hiking from Tony Grove to Bunchgrass that morning.  We will listen for it though.

  Gary

Josh Jensen

I should be able to help. I usually wake up about halfway between launch and burst.
:)

Josh

On Jul 13, 2017 09:57, <ag1t@...> wrote:
We won't be able to make it.  We will be out with the scouts hiking from Tony Grove to Bunchgrass that morning.  We will listen for it though.

  Gary

Jared Smith

Thanks to those that helped with the launch and recovery today. It was a great success for the USU GAS team.

Attached are KML files for the estimate and actual. There's also a spreadsheet with the APRS data. We missed only 2 beacons while in flight. At the bottom are charts for altitude and ascent rate. Average ascent rate was 5.03m/s. We'd predicted 4.8 at the last minute - they didn't bring enough helium to the launch site. It started lower than that and ascended at slightly higher rates as it climbed - I suspect due to increased temperatures.

Our descent rate extrapolated to sea level was 6.75 m/s. I'd predicted 8 m/s. So that finally gives us a good target for the 5' parachute - at least with a ~5 pound payload.

Overall, our prediction was VERY close - it landed within .8 miles of our predicted landing spot!

They're looking at another launch or two on the 29th.

My HAB plans continue. I received the new, smaller transmitter board, but it's interfering with the GPS reception. It seems the 25MHz clock generator is sending a signal back down the voltage wire that makes it so the GPS won't get a fix. If I unplug the transmitter, the GPS gets a fix almost instantly. I've tried numerous methods for decoupling the signal, but am not having much luck. I'd be happy to hear recommendations.

The solar charge controller I designed should be here in a week or so. If it actually works, and if I can figure out the GPS conflicts, I should be ready for a launch in a few weeks or so.

Jared