From: <BARC-HAB@groups.io> on behalf of Jared Smith <jared@...>
Date: Thursday, June 8, 2017 at 11:29 PM
To: "BARC-HAB@groups.io" <BARC-HAB@groups.io>
Subject: [BARC-HAB] Transmitter update

I have a basic prototype up and running with the WSPR transmitter. A photo is attached.

It puts out only 10 milliwatts (much less than that by the time it gets to my antenna) and was heard in several places across the US tonight on 20 meter band well after sunset. I track reception reports using WSPRnet.org. A screen shot of those hearing me is attached.

The furthest was W0PAS in Eastern Ohio. That comes out to 155,590 miles per watt!!! Not bad for a radio the size of a matchbook.

Thanks Gary for helping me test it out.

The GPS receivers came today, so that's my next project. I've learned my programming skills leave a lot to be desired! I programmed up the telemetry module yesterday. It converts NMEA lat/lon to grid square, and encodes the altitude and temperature into the telemetry format.

Jared

Kevin Reeve

And I think the whole Wisper thing is cool because it is on a worldwide recognized freq, and has a great chance of being heard even when across the ocean.

Kevin

From: <BARC-HAB@groups.io> on behalf of Main <kevin.reeve@...>
Date: Friday, June 9, 2017 at 9:09 AM
To: "BARC-HAB@groups.io" <BARC-HAB@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [BARC-HAB] Transmitter update

I think your selling yourself short on the programming skills. If you have that much working as of last night, you have made great progress and accomplished much, especially converting lat and long to grid square.

Kevin

From: <BARC-HAB@groups.io> on behalf of Jared Smith <jared@...>
Date: Thursday, June 8, 2017 at 11:29 PM
To: "BARC-HAB@groups.io" <BARC-HAB@groups.io>

I have a basic prototype up and running with the WSPR transmitter. A photo is attached.

It puts out only 10 milliwatts (much less than that by the time it gets to my antenna) and was heard in several places across the US tonight on 20 meter band well after sunset. I track reception reports using WSPRnet.org. A screen shot of those hearing me is attached.

The furthest was W0PAS in Eastern Ohio. That comes out to 155,590 miles per watt!!! Not bad for a radio the size of a matchbook.

Thanks Gary for helping me test it out.

The GPS receivers came today, so that's my next project. I've learned my programming skills leave a lot to be desired! I programmed up the telemetry module yesterday. It converts NMEA lat/lon to grid square, and encodes the altitude and temperature into the telemetry format.

Jared

Tyler Griffiths

So does it need to change  frequencies like a VHF or UHF  beacon. Or does HF work on a single frequency ?

Tyler

From: <BARC-HAB@groups.io> on behalf of Main <kevin.reeve@...>
Date: Friday, June 9, 2017 at 9:09 AM
To: "BARC-HAB@groups.io" <BARC-HAB@groups.io>

From: <BARC-HAB@groups.io> on behalf of Jared Smith <jared@...>
Date: Thursday, June 8, 2017 at 11:29 PM
To: "BARC-HAB@groups.io" <BARC-HAB@groups.io>

I have a basic prototype up and running with the WSPR transmitter. A photo is attached.

It puts out only 10 milliwatts (much less than that by the time it gets to my antenna) and was heard in several places across the US tonight on 20 meter band well after sunset. I track reception reports using WSPRnet.org. A screen shot of those hearing me is attached.

The furthest was W0PAS in Eastern Ohio. That comes out to 155,590 miles per watt!!! Not bad for a radio the size of a matchbook.

Thanks Gary for helping me test it out.

The GPS receivers came today, so that's my next project. I've learned my programming skills leave a lot to be desired! I programmed up the telemetry module yesterday. It converts NMEA lat/lon to grid square, and encodes the altitude and temperature into the telemetry format.

Tyler, Sent from Gmail Mobile

Tyler Griffiths

 I should say as it circles the earth.

From: <BARC-HAB@groups.io> on behalf of Main <kevin.reeve@...>
Date: Friday, June 9, 2017 at 9:09 AM
To: "BARC-HAB@groups.io" <BARC-HAB@groups.io>

From: <BARC-HAB@groups.io> on behalf of Jared Smith <jared@...>
Date: Thursday, June 8, 2017 at 11:29 PM
To: "BARC-HAB@groups.io" <BARC-HAB@groups.io>

--
Tyler, Sent from Gmail Mobile

Jared Smith

Tyler -

It's a single defined frequency per band - so no need to change based on regions like you have to with APRS or other VHF/UHF modes.

I do, however, have to add some logic so it won't transmit over certain countries where airborne transmissions are illegal. I'm not sure yet whether to do this geofencing based on lat/lon or grid square.

Mine will do 20 meters WSPR only. So it can be locked on the defined 20 meter frequency with a tuned dipole. The signal generator makes the slight changes in tones (4 of them total) to encode the almost 2-minute long WSPR transmission.

Some balloons are using 20 and 30 meter WSPR, but this makes the antenna configuration a bit more complex. And some are also using APRS with a separate transmitter. I may add APRS depending on what the weight comes to.

Jared

From: <BARC-HAB@groups.io> on behalf of Main <kevin.reeve@...>
Date: Friday, June 9, 2017 at 9:09 AM
To: "BARC-HAB@groups.io" <BARC-HAB@groups.io>

From: <BARC-HAB@groups.io> on behalf of Jared Smith <jared@...>
Date: Thursday, June 8, 2017 at 11:29 PM
To: "BARC-HAB@groups.io" <BARC-HAB@groups.io>

[...]

Josh Jensen

Jared,

I was just thinking. If you want to give your payload an airborne test before you launch it, we could take it up suspended from my hexacopter. I made some good progress today, and could possibly take it on its first flight soon.

Now I just need to work on some ham payloads. Probably my first will be a camera and transmitter, then a small digi to pick up APRS beacons from lost payloads, or relaying Bear 100 runner data.

Josh

From: <BARC-HAB@groups.io> on behalf of Main <kevin.reeve@...>
Date: Friday, June 9, 2017 at 9:09 AM
To: "BARC-HAB@groups.io" <BARC-HAB@groups.io>

From: <BARC-HAB@groups.io> on behalf of Jared Smith <jared@...>
Date: Thursday, June 8, 2017 at 11:29 PM
To: "BARC-HAB@groups.io" <BARC-HAB@groups.io>

[...]

Josh -

That would be cool! And I want to check out the drone anyway. I will need to do some testing to see how the antenna is going to work. It's VERY thin (like hair thin), 36 gauge magnet wire and I need to make sure it's not going to coil back onto itself - especially in turbulent conditions. The antenna's almost 35' long with the payload attached in the middle.

I now have all of the individual components working (except the solar stuff), so am now working on programming them all together. There are some interesting complexities in getting the sequencing and timing all right - and ensuring it's entirely autonomous. I'm planning on lots of testing, and an airborne test from your drone would be wonderful. I'm probably several weeks out from being to that point.

We'll want to consider whether I should do a transmission test while hanging from your drone. I suspect not - I think the RF will likely interfere with your flight system.

Thanks,

Jared

From: <BARC-HAB@groups.io> on behalf of Main <kevin.reeve@...>
Date: Friday, June 9, 2017 at 9:09 AM
To: "BARC-HAB@groups.io" <BARC-HAB@groups.io>

From: <BARC-HAB@groups.io> on behalf of Jared Smith <jared@...>
Date: Thursday, June 8, 2017 at 11:29 PM
To: "BARC-HAB@groups.io" <BARC-HAB@groups.io>

[...]

I don't think you transmitting will be any problem at all. I think my biggest concern would be the GPS reception, but I don't think it interferes with your GPS, so it should be fine with mine. By the time my drone is finished, I'll have more, higher power transmitters on it directly. I would think it wouldn't even notice yours.

If you're still concerned about interference, I can work in an autonomous flight plan, and have it take off, and fly up to altitude on its own. Have it hover at altitudes for a while, then come down and hover at 20 feet off the ground while you power down your stuff, then I take manual control for final landing. I'll need to see what I have for battery life.

Josh

From: <BARC-HAB@groups.io> on behalf of Main <kevin.reeve@...>
Date: Friday, June 9, 2017 at 9:09 AM
To: "BARC-HAB@groups.io" <BARC-HAB@groups.io>

From: <BARC-HAB@groups.io> on behalf of Jared Smith <jared@...>
Date: Thursday, June 8, 2017 at 11:29 PM
To: "BARC-HAB@groups.io" <BARC-HAB@groups.io>

[...]

We can also work towards flying it on a HAB of the GAS team.

Kevin

From: <BARC-HAB@groups.io> on behalf of Main <kevin.reeve@...>
Date: Friday, June 9, 2017 at 9:09 AM
To: "BARC-HAB@groups.io" <BARC-HAB@groups.io>

From: <BARC-HAB@groups.io> on behalf of Jared Smith <jared@...>
Date: Thursday, June 8, 2017 at 11:29 PM
To: "BARC-HAB@groups.io" <BARC-HAB@groups.io>

[...]

Stanley James Wellard

Jared,
How do you arrange the 35' magnetic wire for transmission?
Stan

Sent from my iPhone

From: <BARC-HAB@groups.io> on behalf of Main <kevin.reeve@...>
Date: Friday, June 9, 2017 at 9:09 AM
To: "BARC-HAB@groups.io" <BARC-HAB@groups.io>

From: <BARC-HAB@groups.io> on behalf of Jared Smith <jared@...>
Date: Thursday, June 8, 2017 at 11:29 PM
To: "BARC-HAB@groups.io" <BARC-HAB@groups.io>

[...]

To first address Josh's comment, the GPS reception and HF transmissions won't be simultaneous, so cross-interference won't be an issue onboard. I'll first collect the GPS data (warm start takes a few seconds to get a fix and cold start is at most a couple minutes), then go through a 6 minute transmission cycle, then repeat every 10 minutes.

Stan, I'll have a very thin fishing line tether from the balloon down to the payload/transmitter. The top half of the 20 meter dipole antenna (around 105") will be intermingled with this fishing line from the payload almost up to the balloon. I'll probably use super glue or nail polish to attach it to the fishing line every couple feet to keep it taught and upright. The bottom half of the dipole antenna will dangle down freely from the payload/transmitter. At least that's the plan.

Jared

From: <BARC-HAB@groups.io> on behalf of Main <kevin.reeve@...>
Date: Friday, June 9, 2017 at 9:09 AM
To: "BARC-HAB@groups.io" <BARC-HAB@groups.io>

From: <BARC-HAB@groups.io> on behalf of Jared Smith <jared@...>
Date: Thursday, June 8, 2017 at 11:29 PM
To: "BARC-HAB@groups.io" <BARC-HAB@groups.io>

[...]

I now have the payload programmed. I have much testing to do and need to try to optimize the memory a bit (I'm at 70% dynamic memory), but it seems to be working correctly.

Here's an overview of what happens after adequate power is on-board:
  1. Program initiates and makes connection to clock generator and GPS
  2. GPS is programmed (high power mode, high altitude mode, correct NMEA sentences defined, etc.)
  3. Wait for GPS fix (around 3 minutes cold start, a few seconds warm start).
  4. Upon GPS fix, set Arduino clock to GPS time. Turn on LED (indicates GPS fix).
  5. Get lat/lon/altitude. Encode telemetry and temperature. All are stored to variables.
  6. GPS is set to low power mode.
  7. If minute is :00, :10, :20, etc., initiate standard transmission. LED flashes during transmissions.
  8. If :04, :14, :24, etc., initiate telemetry transmission. Then loop back to #1.
I wired up the solar array today and will check voltage tomorrow (a nice sunny day!).

I then need to figure out how to get all of this together in a way that it will hang from a tether with the solar panels pointing up, while also being VERY lightweight. I'd be happy to hear ideas.

One thing I'm not sure of is orientation of the GPS antenna. It's a very short antenna. I'm not sure if it should optimally point up or horizontally. Anyone know?

Gary, do you have your components? Let me know if you'd like to coordinate to get stuff from me. And I can send you Arduino sketches any time.

Thanks,

Jared

Kevin Reeve

Josh,

If you need one of these byonics T3 minis for building your digi let me know.
Kevin

From: <BARC-HAB@groups.io> on behalf of Main <kevin.reeve@...>
Date: Friday, June 9, 2017 at 9:09 AM
To: "BARC-HAB@groups.io" <BARC-HAB@groups.io>