Re: Balloon launch this Saturday? Helium?

Kevin Reeve

Did you run any predictions?

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 9, 2017, at 10:53 AM, Jared Smith <jared@...> wrote:

Oh no! It landed in the retention ponds West of town! Hopefully it
floats and they can retrieve it without too much damage. We'll see if
it continues to beacon.

Jared

On Wed, Aug 9, 2017 at 10:06 AM, Kevin Reeve <kevin.reeve@...> wrote:
This one has some excellent climbing skills. Doing great!

Kevin

On 8/9/17, 9:36 AM, "BARC-HAB@groups.io on behalf of Jared Smith" <BARC-HAB@groups.io on behalf of jared@...> wrote:

The GAS team balloon is in the air. It's ERRNO-6. Currently at 48,000
approaching Logan from the West. We should be able to see it... even
through the smoke.

Jared

On Tue, Aug 8, 2017 at 4:21 PM, Jared Smith <jared@...> wrote:
Thanks Kevin. I'll check with AirGas and see what they can provide.

I'm not sure if I'll be able to get a payload fully together by
Saturday, but I'm going to try because the forecast looks good. I have
to launch when it's very clear. I also have to account for downwind
storms to try to avoid high altitude thunderstorms. With a neck lift
of only 2-3 grams (about the weight of a dime) if the balloon passes
through any clouds it will pick up enough condensation to bring it
down.

The USU GAS team is planning a launch tomorrow (Wednesday) with the
payload for the Japanese students. I'm not sure of specifics (date,
location, etc.), but they want to fully support it themselves - which
I think is wonderful (and I'll cross my fingers for their success).
But you may want to monitor APRS or HabHub. I believe the call will be
ERRNO-1.

Jared

On Sun, Aug 6, 2017 at 7:04 PM, Kevin Reeve <kevin.reeve@...> wrote:
Jared,

We have gotten our helium from USU lab gas sales on campus.
I think they get it from AirGas.

Kevin

On 8/6/17, 6:57 PM, "BARC-HAB@groups.io on behalf of Jared Smith" <BARC-HAB@groups.io on behalf of jared@...> wrote:

Thanks again to those who helped with the balloon tracking and
recovery last weekend.

If everything comes together and if the weather cooperates, I'm hoping
to try my own launch this Saturday.

Kevin (or others), where do you source the helium from? Do you use the
standard industrial grade helium? Can I just walk into AirGas and get
what I need?

I'm going to float 1 (or maybe 2, depending on my final payload
weight) X 36" mylar balloons. The helium requirement is around 3.5
cubic feet each. So I should be able to do 2 or 3 launches with a Size
20 (20 cubic feet) cylinder.

I'm also designing a new PCB that will act as a shield for the Arduino
Mini. It will have the GPS, transmitter, and charge controller all on
one board and will mate directly with the Arduino via headers - thus
nearly eliminating my need for wires - and greatly reducing the total
payload weight.

I'll keep you apprised of launch details.

Thanks,

Jared

Join BARC-HAB@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.